Cleaning Tilt In Windows - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cleaning Tilt In Windows

I have been working on this for several hours, found this thread, still don't understand.

My windows I'm struggling with are upstairs, so I can't reach the outside to clean. I was told that is why the previous owners put in these windows. I can tilt open the bottom pane easily. There are "sashes" (is that the right word?) that I push in towards each other while lifting the bottom window up, and then it tilts in towards me (I do this after unlocking the window).

However, there is nothing like this on the top panel, and I don't see anything on the top panel that looks like something that would allow it to tilt in.

There is a screen on the outside of the window...it only covers the bottom pane, but when I tilt in the bottom pane, I am able to move the screen up so that it covers the top pane, completely leaving the bottom pane open to the outside...if this makes a difference.

I was led to believe these are double-hung windows; if they are singe-hung windows, how do I go about cleaning the outside of the top panel (upstairs)? (By myself, I am unable to do it from outside; live in condo, don't own ladder, etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

srogers18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,020

Cleaning Tilt In Windows

Did you search the manufacturer yet? Here are a few brands: http://www.google.com/search?client=...12l12l0.frgbld.

Gary

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Cleaning Tilt In Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Did you search the manufacturer yet? Here are a few brands: http://www.google.com/search?client=...12l12l0.frgbld.

Gary
Any inconspicuous place you can think of to look for the manufacturer? I've looked all over and haven't seen any kind of label for manufacturer. I've looked at different brands online but haven't seemed to find a match. Thanks for suggestion!
srogers18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Cleaning Tilt In Windows

Does the top sash (top section of glass) move?.. Or just the lower sash moves? If it does not, it is a single hung and you would have to clean them from the exterior. If it does come down, there should be little buttons on the top of that sash, just like those on the lower. You would not have a compression jamb liner like the other post if you have tilt-buttons on the lower sash. One exception is Thermal Industries where the top sash just has a vinyl bead in the jamb holding it in, and it just comes loose with a good "jerk". Pics would be very helpful if those descriptions did not answer your question.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 256

Cleaning Tilt In Windows

I posted a very similar thread not long ago, you may be able to search for it.

But here's how mine work:

Push in the sash and pull the window towards you. This works great for the bottom window, but the top was giving me fits. Here was the solution: tilt in the bottom window, let it rest on the floor or a chair (depending on your window height). Now lower the top window, push in the sashes and pull (robustly!) and it will tilt in.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Cleaning Tilt In Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp23 View Post
I posted a very similar thread not long ago, you may be able to search for it.

But here's how mine work:

Push in the sash and pull the window towards you. This works great for the bottom window, but the top was giving me fits. Here was the solution: tilt in the bottom window, let it rest on the floor or a chair (depending on your window height). Now lower the top window, push in the sashes and pull (robustly!) and it will tilt in.

Good luck!
That is good advice doug, but only if the OP has a similarly designed windows to yours. Otherwise that could cause some major damage... As I said before, pics would be great to solve this issue.

Advertisement