Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #1

Share |

Casement window help

I have several double pane casement windows with Truth hardware and they all have a slight draft coming from the side edge where the window meets the vinyl weather seal. The draft is not coming from the sash lock side but the other side. I can feel the draft and see a very slight gap where the window meets the seal. Is there anyway I can adjust it so that it closes tighter? The sash lock side seals fine but I noticed that when I push the sash down to lock the window it doesn't seem to close the window in that tight. I noticed one of the windows close a lot tighter when the sash is push down to lock the window in. You can feel it pull the window in and clamp tight when locked. Anyway to make the sash lock close tighter also? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Spydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Casement window help

On most windows, you probably can't adjust the clasp depth but you can change out the weatherstripping.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Home Performance

Casement window help

How old is the window? If it is fairly new, there is a cam adjuster on both the upper and lower arm that will center the sash in the opening. I'm guessing that is why you don't have a great seal. There is a special wrench used to adjust them called a "truth tool" (or at least that is what most people call it), but it is a flat little open end wrench. Some windows have enough space to get a regular combination wrench in there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (11-26-2012), woodworkbykirk (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #4

Casement window help

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
How old is the window? If it is fairly new, there is a cam adjuster on both the upper and lower arm that will center the sash in the opening. I'm guessing that is why you don't have a great seal. There is a special wrench used to adjust them called a "truth tool" (or at least that is what most people call it), but it is a flat little open end wrench. Some windows have enough space to get a regular combination wrench in there.

Yes the windows are fairly new. They are vinyl and yes I'm sure they can be adjusted the way you described. I will wait till the weather gets a little warmer and have a go at it as it's currently minus 10 degrees celsius up here in Canada. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Home Performance

Casement window help

No prob ... The other option would be to call the company that installed them (unless it was DIY of course), although they might have a service charge.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #6

Talking

Casement window help

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
No prob ... The other option would be to call the company that installed them (unless it was DIY of course), although they might have a service charge.
Don't think that's an option since I don't know who installed them. I guess i can call any window repair service but like you said, i will get charged for it. I'm sure I can adjust them myself, the draft is very minimal, some people would just leave it. I also notice the turn handle feels pretty cold, that could also be where I'm feeling the draft too. Metal transfers heat and cold pretty efficiently.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Casement window help

how old is the window for one thing
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #8

Casement window help

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
how old is the window for one thing
Around mid 90s I'd say around 1996ish
Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #9

Casement window help

Yes it can be adjusted according to the depth of the draft or carefully remove any jagged edges that remain. You may find dried putty around the window frame.

Jacob Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
Home Performance

Casement window help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Henry View Post
Yes it can be adjusted according to the depth of the draft or carefully remove any jagged edges that remain. You may find dried putty around the window frame.

I don't believe that advice applies to this scenario.