Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Capping windows with coil stock

I replaced all of my old windows (circa 1930) with new replacement windows. At first I was going to caulk and paint the old wood surrounding each window, but now I am thinking to cap all windows with aluminum coil stock.

Would it be more beneficial to cap all windows rather than caulk and paint?

Has anyone ever seen brown coil stock used around white windows? If I were to paint the wood, I'd want to go with brown, but I don't know if this will look good with the coil stock.

Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,016

Wrapping is probably a more permanent solution. Can't say that I have seen a brown wrap with a white window.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 588

We just finished a brown wrap on white HiMark 500 windows a couple days ago. Looks nice, but colors schemes are always going to be personal preference... I'll see if I can get a pic.
+1 on capping, just make sure that it is done properly or it can cause more harm than good. Replacement with a pvc or composite trim is an option as well, but it will be pricier. Either way is better than having to repaint your wood every few years.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Either way is better than having to repaint your wood every few years.
I donít know about that, there still are many consumers out there that prefer the rich beauty that you can only get with wood.

Just because somethingís easier or offers less maintenance doesnít automatically make it better.

I own a brake and will use it if thatís what they want but I prefer the restoration of old details over cover up any day. Fortunately (for me) most of my customers feel the same way too.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

kwikfishron,

I agree 100%. Capping is a poor substitute for the look of wood, however, most folks are tired or painting and rot repairs. We get people that ask up to cap everything.

I don't even like doing it but they insist sometimes.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
I donít know about that, there still are many consumers out there that prefer the rich beauty that you can only get with wood.

Just because somethingís easier or offers less maintenance doesnít automatically make it better.

I own a brake and will use it if thatís what they want but I prefer the restoration of old details over cover up any day. Fortunately (for me) most of my customers feel the same way too.
Actually that is why I mentioned the PVC/composite options like Azek, etc. PVC brickmold has the exact same profile as wood, but will never rot. Now when you are talking about some of these gorgeous 100year old homes with ornate crown on the fascias, etc, I agree that should not be touched. Can't say the same about a 1400 sq ft ranch built in 1967 though. If a home was designed with beauty in mind, preserve it. If it was designed with utility and efficiency in mind, then improve it in those areas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-03-2012), Windows on Wash (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Actually that is why I mentioned the PVC/composite options like Azek, etc. PVC brickmold has the exact same profile as wood, but will never rot. Now when you are talking about some of these gorgeous 100year old homes with ornate crown on the fascias, etc, I agree that should not be touched. Can't say the same about a 1400 sq ft ranch built in 1967 though. If a home was designed with beauty in mind, preserve it. If it was designed with utility and efficiency in mind, then improve it in those areas.
Well said.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
Replacement Window Advice

Rewards Points: 10

Is the siding on the house wood?

I don't think it's a great look to have aluminum capped windows right next to wood siding. Plus if you have to paint the house, probably not that big a deal to paint the window trims while painting the rest of the house.

If you have vinyl siding I would cap the exterior trims.

Window Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote