Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #1

Share |

Can't find the name of what I want

I have a vestibule-type entrance to a basement. It is a concrete enclosure of about 15x15 with a 10' ceiling. Inside the enclosure is the steel door to the basement. The enclosure has a couple of windows for light, and concrete stairs that lead up out of the enclosure to the yard. I want to put a certain type of door at the bottom of the stairs leading to the outside. I know exactly what I want, and I know it exists because I've seen it. My problem is, I don't know what it's called, and after several hours scouring the internet, can't find a single example of it.

The door I want is for outside use. It is all metal. It is a typical door size, around 36" wide, 79" tall, and 2" thick. The primary feature of the door is that the body of it is made up of steel or iron mesh, similar to chain-link, but with a much tighter pattern. I would say the holes in the mesh are around 1/2 " or less in diameter. The ones I've seen have the mesh in a diagonal pattern like chain link, but that's not important. The borders/edges of the door are flat panes of steel or iron and are not mesh. The borders are between 1" and 3" all around the edges. Inside the border is the steel or iron mesh. There is a plane of steel or iron mesh on both sides of the door, with the inside core being hollow (or maybe some steel reinforcement, I don't recall). The locking mechanism has a steel plate that covers the door jamb when closed so that you can't insert a credit card or similar thing to open the door latch.

These kinds of doors are often found in public pools or hotels, and the latches can be keyed to magnetic card swipers or proximity card readers. They generally have a matching frame.

If anyone can help me with search terms I could use to find such a door online, or even better a place that sells them, I would be most grateful. I'm located in Virginia, USA.

Thanks!

DocFixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Tileguy

Those are typically industrial "tool crib doors" using "prison security fencing".

Try that.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
DocFixit (09-14-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #3

That's funny Bud, 'tool crib door' is the first thing that came to mind when I was reading the OP's post.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Tileguy

Installed many of those things years ago. Did a lot of razor-wire and prison fence also.

You can buy that stuff pre-assembled or in kits (more or less) but I can't remember where I used to get it. Any industrial supplier will have the stuff.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #5

I think I'll pass on the razor wire. Not enough bandaids for me.
Mike Hawkins
Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Those are typically industrial "tool crib doors" using "prison security fencing".

Try that.

Thanks!

I think that has put me on the right track, although so far the ones I've found are single-layer mesh rather than the front-and-back layers.

Still looking for exactly what I want.
DocFixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
so far the ones I've found are single-layer mesh rather than the front-and-back layers.
What does that mean: "front and back layers"?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
What does that mean: "front and back layers"?
I'm just wondering what's he's hiding in the basement that he needs this type of door for. Silence of the lambs........

Mike Hawkins

The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (09-14-2011)

Tags
exterior door, iron door, mesh door, pool door, steel door