Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cannot Unlatch Glass Slider

I have a SilverLine glass slider (patio door) series 5500/5700 that I cannot open. I went to unlock it and the locking lever on the inside would not work. I then tried the key on the outside and still no luck. I have now removed handles on both sides of the door so I can access the slot that the locking lever normally engages. Using a screwdriver I am able to turn the slotted part about 150 degress from stop to stop but cannot disengage the latch despite using considerable force after it reaches the stop. The holes in the door frame for the handle mounting screws provide some access but the actual latch has additional metal around it so it appears turning the slot is the only means of unlatching it. Short of destroying the door I do not see a solution. Anyone have any ideas? The latch and handle assembly is a model “2265” manufactured by “Sash Controls” in Ferndale, MI if that helps

dynaco120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,026

Push active panel towards the wall.

After that, a general move of the active panel in any of the 4 directions of movement should show you where the difficulty is.

Sounds to me that the latch is wedged on the keeper somehow.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Push active panel towards the wall.

After that, a general move of the active panel in any of the 4 directions of movement should show you where the difficulty is.

Sounds to me that the latch is wedged on the keeper somehow.
Thanks for replying. I have tried moving the door closer to the frame on the latch side, rotating it as much as I can in the unlatching direction, tapping the frame with a rubber mallet while apply force, etc., all to no avail. It might be the cosmic forces telling me it is time to replace the whole assembly. The static side developed a leak about about a year ago and I didn't do much about it because it was in an unheated breezeway but now the condensation between the panes has recently become worse so this might be a good time.

One thing I know for sure however is that it won't be an Anderson/SilverLine door, and if I can avoid it, it won't have handles made by "Sash Control". Not only does the current door have multiple problems but Anderson did not even have the courtesy to reply to my request for assistance with a "sorry we cannot help you" response. "Sash Control" goes one better. They don't even have a web site with contact information for support, probably with good reason.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your suggestions.
dynaco120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,026

I think the door just committed suicide

There are better doors out there and most are built by companies that will treat you better.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote