Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Share |

Can lg. thermopane glass-only be purchased online?

I'm all about supporting local shops. But when it comes to big ticket items like this I've no compunction about shopping near and far.

I can't seem to find a supplier in West Michigan for a large, 55in x 60in, thermopane glass only replacement for my living room window.

I could pick up the glass in my truck within a 50 mile radius.

frascati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

You may be surprised at the price to have it done and installed properly (no guarantees on the panel if you install it). That is a pricy piece of glass that could possibly haunt you in the future. - What if it pops a leak and fogs?

There is good reason not to do everything your self if you are not faliliar with all the details and possible problems. I am a certified window installer (AAM) and chose to have a custom sized sliding door installed to meet the HOA appearance requirements. - He was a subcontractor that worked exclusively for Andersen Renewal (750-800 sliding doors a year) and was also certified.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Architectural Sculptor

That's a pretty big chunk of glass to ship or handle, you'd be unlikely to find a supplier only 50 miles away or less. I've bought a large Velux skylight online and a replacement top glass for a new window that got broken shortly after I installed it, it was shipped UPS, but nothing as big as you need.
Something that large would have to ship freight truck if you were not near enough to pick it up, and that would cost you lots for crating it and shipping.
I wouldn't have faith it would arrive intact either, I bought a 20' extension ladder on Amazon as it was about $20 cheaper than locally, but the first one came bent (hidden damage) which they had to come pick up and deliver a replacement, if that was a glass window...
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #4

I've seen diy tutorials online describing removal, disassembly, careful cleaning, and resealing.

At 350 to 500 dollars quoted for this piece (i realize this is a wide judgement call, some of us have more spare time than others and i have plenty right now) would anyone encourage me to try this first?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Home Performance

Call a local glass shop and get it quoted glass only, or installed. Even installed it should be around that $300 or less unless you need it tempered... Regarding the DIY aspect, if you are referring to simply doing the IG installation, then yes, go for it. Otoh, if you are considering disassembling the IG and redoing that, I'd highly recommend against it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-13-2013), RWolff (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frascati View Post
I've seen diy tutorials online describing removal, disassembly, careful cleaning, and resealing.

At 350 to 500 dollars quoted for this piece (i realize this is a wide judgement call, some of us have more spare time than others and i have plenty right now) would anyone encourage me to try this first?

Tutorials on the web for this kind of thing are a lot like learning how to drive a tractor-trailer by watching youtube videos, in fact, when I bought my first firearm and asked about classes, the shop owner suggested I just go out and shoot at a target and learn that way, and the tractor-trailer analogy is exactly what I said to him about that idea.

Videos don't show you what to do when you run into a problem, or something unexpected. This size glass is going to be HEAVY, very fragile- one slip and that's the end of it and your money.
You may have a lot of spare time now, but if you run into a problem or something goes wrong you'll have plenty more time devoted to this window.

Call a pro
Old 07-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #7

The glass is less than 18 inches from the living room floor. A contractor will not do it legally in annealed. Code/law/insurance requires that it be tempered. I'm looking forward to getting this sixty year old home up-to-date energy efficient as near as is possible. This huge pane is one of the worst offenders. Low-E, 1/4 inch, one inch total thickness has been quoted by local suppliers from 300 to 550 dollars. It's all from the same company.. Oldcastle Building Products. I'm inclined to just go with the 300 dollar quote and install it myself. Is anyone suggesting that I'm wasting my time? Do you really think I can get low-e, 1/4 inch, 1 inch width thermopane installed for under 350 dollars?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Architectural Sculptor

We know what the usual story is, wanting better, more efficient windows and all that, you don't need to "sell us" on the "why", the whole issue is the price and the installation.
Several have already said go with a professional glass installer, if code/insurance required tempered safety glass then that's what you HAVE to put in regardless of what the cost might be.

Your only other option is change the window size/configuration, install a storm window on the outside or letting it go.
Several have already strongly suggested NOT trying to install this yourself and explained reasons why, but it's your money and your liability and trying to "sell" us on why you should do this yourself due to cost is not going to change our minds on this.
Whether it's $350, $500 or $750 it doesn't matter it's chump change compared to having a brand new energy efficient window that should last a lifetime.
You wouldn't be arguing the cost if this was your kid's broken leg and the doctor said it would cost $3500 to set, would you doctor-shop to get the lowest price and then try doing it yourself because it was more than you want to pay?

Call a pro and get the window installed by someone who installs large windows 8 hours a day 52 weeks a year and be done with it.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

It would be easier to just put in a slider, than have a pane that large. That is about the size that you would see in a shop window. No matter how good it says, it will still convect heat from the outside or inside, and same for cold air.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
RWolff (07-16-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Home Performance

Being tempered, those prices are not out of line. You really are not going to save much by doing it yourself considering your time and the risk involved, as well as the peace of mind knowing that it was done properly. That would be my recommendation.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
RWolff (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #11

Well about 300 dollars was the best quote on this locally. I'll call back and ask about installation.

Quote:
You wouldn't be arguing the cost if this was your kid's broken leg and the doctor said it would cost $3500 to set, would you doctor-shop to get the lowest price and then try doing it yourself because it was more than you want to pay?
Well, it wasn't a broken leg. Shattered jaw. The 13 year old. Apple of the ex wife's eye. He's such a pansy. I set up an octagon behind the trailer out of old screen doors and on "my weekend" last July I donned us both some old shorts and work gloves and introduced a few moves.

Damn kid just ran and cowered, ran and cowered. C'mon, we've all been there. Want to toughen 'em up. Lost my patience I guess and next I know he's on the grass with this weird look of crooked fear and horror. Damn.

Well I did the "right" thing and got him into emergency as fast as posssible. The bastard oral surgeon wanted to bill me MORE than the 3500 you mentioned above... way more. Like three times more. (i've always had a wicked right hook)

So yeah. I don't know what sort of world you live in, with your privileged health insurance and happy marriage, but I had to diy this one. Why not?
50mg of percoset (from an old carpal tunnel injury at work) and he really seemed to be enjoying himself. Another 200mg over the next half hour and he was pretty much just breathing and out of the damn way so I could finish fixing his jaw without spilling my beer trying to keep him still.

All's well now, whether you buy it or not. Learning to live with a jagged droop to his smile and massive scarring has turned him into a real man. Mission one accomplished, and for practically no cost. The wife will always know that it was a line-drive to the face pitching softball since for some serendipitous reason, that massive dosage of percoset combined with 10 ounces of Jack Daniels had pretty much obliterated all memory of real events for him.

Speak for yourself then. I diy where it's practical.

Last edited by frascati; 07-16-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
Architectural Sculptor

Call a pro...
Old 07-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #13

Too big piece of glass. If I wanted to dIY I would be investigating some type of replacement windows. That would fit where the glass is now? Just a thought. JIm

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote