Can I Just Replace The Glass ??? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I just replace the glass ???

I need to replace a double pane fake divided light window (40 x 73 in) which I suspect I cracked by not including some cushion between the glass and the sill I repaired with epoxy putty 6 months before. I have only had one estimate by a guy who said he could replace/ custom rebuild the window for $3K. He said he couldn't replace the glass. He furthermore couldn't promise the glass would match the other windows on the front of my house.

1) Is that true? Is there no way to remove the casement ( I would probably have to saw out the epoxy) and install a new IGU with some sort of gasket, and screw and glue the casement back together?

I don't really want to do it myself, and I recognize it needs a professionals touch; but it seems like an interested carpenter could do the work for a lot less.

Admittedly, it was a low quality builders window to start with which I suspect was why the sills rotted out to start with.

Thanks for any advice.

David- Dallas
Attached Thumbnails
Can I just replace the glass ???-small-window.jpg   Can I just replace the glass ???-sill-small.jpg  

Advertisement

davidwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

For that price you could put in 3 new windows that are low E, double pane, tempered....

If your already having rot issues.....I would look at a total replacement....of all 3.

Look into fiberglass/vinyl. Mine are fiberglass on the outside....vinyl on the inside....In my area, I bet each window would be about $600 ea...of course I'm the kind of guy that would do the install myself....but I bet you could get it done for about $200/window.

Where are you located?

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #3

Thanks for your interest.
I'm in Dallas near SMU. It turns out that estimate didn't even include installation - only custom construction of the window to match. Matching is a major concern which makes a new window a less appealing option.

David - Dallas
Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #4

It may require some +/- skilled carpentry which may be the stumbling block to the project. Glass people don't know carpentry and carpenters don't know glass?

David - Dallas
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
JOATMON

David....have a look at the link in my signature....ALL of the windows in my addition are custom....nothing was a standard size.

In your case....replacing all 3 could have several advantages....

When we replaced the existing windows with new ones....besides the thermal improvements....we were amazed at how much sound they blocked. Big difference in sound. Making a window tempered...added maybe $50 to the cost.

For my house and addition....15 windows (some of them large casements) $7000

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
davidwat (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
David....have a look at the link in my signature....ALL of the windows in my addition are custom....nothing was a standard size.

In your case....replacing all 3 could have several advantages....

When we replaced the existing windows with new ones....besides the thermal improvements....we were amazed at how much sound they blocked. Big difference in sound. Making a window tempered...added maybe $50 to the cost.

For my house and addition....15 windows (some of them large casements) $7000
Thanks, Ddawg.
Was that a change from single to double pane or from double pane to triple pane? For some reason, I can't see your link. Also, I need wood casements to match the rest of the front windows.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwat View Post
Thanks, Ddawg.
Was that a change from single to double pane or from double pane to triple pane? For some reason, I can't see your link. Also, I need wood casements to match the rest of the front windows.
Here it is....It's in my signature

2-Story Addition...Trials and Tribulations

Old 03-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,232

+1

At that price, yank them out and replace them.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #9

Turns out the window is a 20 year old Caradco sash mounted picture window, and I may be able to get Jeld-Wen to duplicate the sash - preferably with a newer more secure glass/window connection. That should make it a lot cheaper to replace.

David - Dallas

Last edited by davidwat; 03-13-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
+1

At that price, yank them out and replace them.
The problem is matching replacements to the rest of the front of the house. Of course, considering the problems I have had, I may need to replace them all anyway.

David - Dallas

Advertisement