Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building door jambs?

Got a question about making door jambs for interior doors. I'm building a new home that has a total of 19 interior doors counting all the closets, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. I've purchased solid wood 6 panel doors from various sources.. Craigslist, Peddler's Mall, etc and have been hanging a few as I go. My question is this... what do you pros think of making jambs out of 1x10 or 1x12 pine stock? I bought a few 8' and 10' pine boards from one of the "box" stores and ripped the boards down to make my jambs, but the problem is there are knots in the boards that I am worried may pop out in the future. I can buy the fingerjointed door jamb kits from the box stores for around $25 per set, but ripping down pine stock is about half that. I've also checked into buying 17' pieces of 'jamb stock' from a lumber supplier but the price for fingerjointed was actually higher than the jamb kit that was pre cut from the box stores.

So back to the original question.. what do you pros recommend that I use for my jambs that is both cost effective and will create a quality jamb for the long term? I'm trying to save a few bucks but don't want to sacrifice the end result.

I guess my choices are:

1) Rip down pine stock with knots here and there, even when I pick the best boards (@ $13 per door)
2) Go with precut jamb sets (@ approx $25 per door)
3) Go with 17' pieces of jamb stock (just under $30 per door) I may be able to find a better price on the jamb stock, I've only checked with one supplier at the moment. I'd think it would be cheaper than the precut box store sets?????

Thanks for any advice or opinions! I've hung two doors so far, used ripped down pine on one and a precut jamb set on the other. I'm happy with the results on both, just worried about a few "knots" popping out of the pine jamb in the future.

jonesbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,932

Building door jambs?

What tools do you have?

Do you have a surface planer?

Will these be painted when done or stained?

You will find that the precut jamb sets are the cheapest in the long run--but the quality is not great.
Most are finger jointed and then covered with a thin veneer.

Clear pine is great but cost more than cherry (when bought from a local wood cutter)

Have you checked prices from local small mills? I regularly purchase cherry and walnut from small farmer/.cutters for about $2.50 a board foot,in the rough.

More details [lease.----Mike----

Old 08-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #3

Building door jambs?

I have a planer, yes.

The jambs will all be painted, gloss white. Was thinking of Porter Glyptex.. have used that in the past for interior trim, etc.

Haven't checked local sawmills, never occurred to me. Figured I'd be getting "green" stuff from them with too much moisture to make it any potential savings worth the hassle of movement down the road.

But there is a local supplier about 15 miles from me that I had forgotten, and they may have something there I can use. I bought some river birch there for a project a few years ago, I'll have to give them a call and see what they have.

Do you think poplar would be better than pine? I guess I'd have to check the price and see how that compares. Not looking to build a piano... heck its just a door jamb... Just trying to save a few bucks and finish hanging the doors, for some reason I always feel like I'm paying too much buying from the big box stores no matter what I'm buying.
jonesbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,932

Building door jambs?

Poplar is great to work with for paint grade----and usually about the cheapest----no knots and no pine pitch.

Most mills have a kiln---some will plane the wood at a very reasonable fee and even rip one edge --which is a real time saver.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #5

Building door jambs?

I would have to agree on the poplar option. We had to make jamb extensions on all of our windows and doors in the house when we replaced them. We used poplar and they look great. Good luck.
ihoven is offline   Reply With Quote