Broken Track: Sliding Screen Door - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Broken track: sliding screen door

Hello everyone. I just purchased a house so I may be asking several questions here in the future. My first question has to do with the sliding door leading out to my deck. There is a big chunk missing from the upper track for the screen door. Every time you try to open or close it, when the wheel hits that spot the screen door falls out...very annoying. Does anyone know if this is a replaceable piece? Can it be repaired?
Thank you in advance for any and all answers.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken track: sliding screen door-image-2498361907.jpg  

Advertisement

cgrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Going to have to replace the whole door.
To fix it even if you could ID the manufacturer the whole door would have to come out anyway to get it apart.
Before doing all that I'd try a Micky Mouse fix to see if it worked, noting to lose by trying.
I'd prime and paint a piece of 3/4, 1/4 round and install across the whole span. (not just over the broken area)
On the back side where there's still a void I'd mix up some Durhams Water putty to use as a filler and sand it smooth once it hardens.
http://www.waterputty.com/
Not fancy, but just might work and save you a lot of work and expence.

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

+1

Nothing to really fix there unless you can plastic weld but Joe's idea of trimming it out is what I would do if i had to.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote