Brick Molding Too Shallow For Storm Door - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Brick molding too shallow for storm door

Hey, everyone, I'd really appreciate any tips with the following conundrum:

My house is 25 years old, and I need to replace the storm door at the entrance. I removed the old door and frame, and was just getting ready to mount the new storm door (Pella), which I bought from Lowe's when I saw that my brick molding is too shallow (in the direction of entering the house). The instructions for the door installation require 1" of depth for the brick molding, and since mine is about 3/4", the door frame is sticking out a bit, and the latch part of the frame is half-way out.

I really don't want to replace the molding since it's lined up with other trim in the front of the house. I bought a couple of 3/8" x 1 1/4" stop boards like these:
Lowes Stop Board

Do you think I can nail those on both sides of the entrance to the brick molding, so I get to the 1" of required depth and mount the storm door frame on top or is this design going to fail?

Thank you for your help!

Advertisement

Last edited by axenol; 03-05-2013 at 09:37 PM.
axenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

I could not get the site to open up you tryed to post.
A picture of you brick moulding would be nice.

Adding a spacer is fine as long as it does not stick out to far.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #3

joecaption, sorry about that. I put the URL in the wrong part of the html. It should work now.

Is a "spacer" a technical term or are you referring to any piece of wood, which would fill up the empty space?

Thanks for your response!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #4

Here's a picture of me holding the aforementioned "stop board" to the shallow brick molding to help you imagine what I'm trying to accomplish (see attachment).
Attached Thumbnails
Brick molding too shallow for storm door-2013-03-05_21-42-42_94.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

You are on the right track. Essentially you just need to "build out" the trim a little bit... Make sure that you pre-drill that pine or it will split all over the place.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #6

Thanks for the tip, HomeSealed. I was wondering about the splitting; I know pine is not too hard of wood (unlike oak and maple) so in theory it should hold up, but I'll pre-drill to be safe, and make sure it's securely attached to the brick molding before I add the weight of the storm door to it.

Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 500

.....and I would prime and paint that piece before you install the door over it.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #8

I definitely will so it doesn't rot out as quickly but thanks for bringing it up. I also need to sand out some of that peeling paint on the jamb after I ripped off the silicone around the old storm door. So a follow-up question:

If I sand out that peeling paint on the jamb, and repaint it, would I also need to prime before I paint or is the paint going to hold? In a more general sense, the question is:

When you need to touch up some peeling paint on the brick molding/jamb/trim/etc. outside, do you need to completely remove the old paint, prime, and repaint or it is sufficient just to sand out the damaged paint and repaint right on top?

Advertisement