Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #1

Share |

Blind recommendations

So we recently purchase a new home and the windows seem a bit naked. I've been browsing through different covers/blinds for my windows. I've come across blinds.com, selectblinds.com, home depot, lowe's, and jpc. Do you guys have any other recommendations I should check out?

coffeex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Blind recommendations

I've done business with Steve's Blinds and Wallpaper and Blindster with no issues. I did the installation. They both have a wide range of nice options and will gladly send samples. Only negative is that if you do not uncheck the box for special offers Steve's will bury you daily in them.

I know others who have used local The Blind Man franchises for total turnkey solutions. An interior designer for a client got all the blinds through JCP. No problems.

It is a highly competitive business. If you can measure carefully (they all provide detailed instructions) and install or have someone who can install? You can save quite a bit shopping online. And the box stores give nothing back to the communities in which they operate anyhow so I do not mind taking business from them. Supporting a local franchise might be nice though.

If you install your own, toss the fasteners that come with them in the trash the minute your order arrives. Go to a real hardware store and get screws with heads that will not strip instantly!

Last edited by user1007; 04-29-2013 at 10:51 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #3

Blind recommendations

Out of all the websites visited we decided on Global Blinds. We ended up getting Faux Wood and it looks great for the price. The simplicity of order and instructions on their page was great help too. Definitely recommend checking them out.

Last edited by BigJim; 05-11-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Link removed
Old 05-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #4

Blind recommendations

[QUOTE=coffeex13;1171697]Out of all the websites visited we decided on Global Blinds. We ended up getting Faux Wood and it looks great for the price. The simplicity of order and instructions on their page was great help too. Definitely recommend checking them out.

Never heard of Global Blinds..thanks for the link.

How much did you pay?

Comparison shopping helps. I usually check out home depot or lowes or amazon.

Link: Achim Home 2-Inch Faux Wood Blind, 35-Inch by 64-Inch, Mahogany for $38

Last edited by BigJim; 05-11-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: link in quote removed
tampaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #5

Blind recommendations

We have a 20 blinds home and ended up going up with 2" 35x60. Total for the blinds came to $920 with free shipping. Before I placed my order, I requested samples from various companies. Most of the cheaper priced ones were what they call Ready Made Blinds that they have pre-made from China. The Blinds at Global Blinds were 100% made in USA which USA products vs China products, I tend to lean more towards USA. After extensive research, we found that cheap blinds have low UV Ray Protection and cheap blinds turn yellow over time, not to mention they warp easy. Hope this information helps!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Special Trades Contractor

Blind recommendations

@coffeex13

All four of your posts at this site reference GlobalBlinds. Are you affiliated with them? Also, your post above looks similar to some posts you made at another site:

http://www.********************/f10/window-blinds-15916/

I also found it incredible that you were able to get the blinds ordered, shipped and installed within four days. 4/29 - 5/3. That is truly miraculous service and Global Blinds should be applauded if things progressed that quickly.

We do not do internet sales and have no interest here except to ensure transparency.
Solar Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #7

Blind recommendations

Soooo I just installed my first cellular shade today. So for the heck of it I went on global blinds web site to compare pricing, it was 70$ more for the same blind? Lowes would of been cheaper than the price they quoted.
FYI I got my blind online from select blinds, easy to install, I bought only one to see how they hold up.
mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #8

Blind recommendations

Blinds are a bit troublesome to maintain, if you want a cheaper and more low-maintenance option, go with window frosting!
patrickbuzacott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #9

Blind recommendations

We got our blinds custom. They're by levolor. They cost a bit but I think they're worth it. They seem to trap a little moisture behind them when the humidity is higher so we have to watch that. Got them at big box store and installed them myself.
strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #10

Blind recommendations

You have to leave at least a1/2 inch space in between the window and blind for circulation, this should stop the condensation problem.

Frosting all windows? How would one get to enjoy the view? We have this in our bathroom for obvious reasons but I can't imagine the rest of the windows that way.

mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote