Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 520

Best course of action?

I'll try to make this story brief. About 1.5 years ago, my kitchen window started leaking between the panes (12 years old now, vinyl, awning style). I went to Menards and got talked into a replacement window (vinyl, sliding style).

Those in-the-know probably already know that I can't fit this window into the existing vinyl frame. So either I have to build a new frame for it from scratch, or start all over with a new-construction window. I've been putting this off for so long, because of this conundrum. If I don't get to it soon, my wife may murder me in my sleep.

It's a Jeld-Wen vinyl replacement window from Menards, low-e glass and white grate between the panes. It was almost $200, and the length of time I procrastinated prevents me from exchanging it (with restocking fee) for a New Construction style window. This leads me to want to build a frame for it, but having never done that, I am apprehensive.

hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,364

Best course of action?

Got a picture of the inside and outside so we can see what's going to be involved?
Need to know what type siding you have mainly.
Trying to make a replacement window work and not leak is going to be a real challenge.
Just no good way to seal the outside with no nailing fin.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 520

Best course of action?

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I've read a few things where people say they exclusively use replacement windows and build frames for them, using 1x6 & 1x2 (wood or vinyl). I'm not sure how to execute that and get a good seal - like you said, not getting it to leak may be difficult.

The siding is standard vinyl, constructed in 2002. I'll try to snap a few pictures later when I'm back at home.
hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote