Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Best bang for the buck, in new windows?

Hi all. I wanted to stop by and ask about windows. As I'm sure you all know, you can spend thousands on new windows. But which one gets you the most bang for your buck? I mean in terms of energy efficiency, anti-burglary, storm proof, etc. But if I had to pick just one feature, I want good energy efficiency. Not letting the cool air out, or the heat in, in summertime. Here in TX, that's a big one.

So which window is the bang for the buck model? Which one is known to be a good window, but is fairly inexpensive?

Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

You looking for wood or Vinyl or other? I have had good service from Milgard vinyl windows. Good quality at a reasonable price.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 294

Believe it or not, to get the most energy savings for your dollar the most efficient thing would be to add storm windows to your existing windows. And that's coming from a guy who made his living selling and installing replacement windows for many years.
I'll see if I can dig up the data. If so I'll post it. Basically, if you figure on spending a few hundred dollars per window to replace them it would take you forty years or so of energy savings before you broke even.
Decent storm window will cost you roughly a third of that and therefore your recoup time would be that much sooner.
Of course if your existing windows are beyond repair than placing them makes sense.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

No they're not beyond repair, but they are from 1983. I think they may actually already be storm windows. Is that where you have two panes on the bottom, and like an inch between the two panes?

As for what type of window, (wood, vinyl, etc) I guess I just want one that lasts long and looks good. Also good energy efficiency. Doesn't really matter to me which type I guess.
Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote