Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

Share |

Basement window replacement

I'm starting fixing up our basement and one of the first things that needs done is the windows. I would like to put in some awning style windows that swing inwards, but due to the frame of the current ones, I'm not sure what will work. The frame is steel that is embedded in concrete. Rather than explaining the details, I put photos in a Skydrive album. Hopefully the photos explain the situation. What are my options? Do I have to go back with the same type?

maeks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #2

You should be able to remove the steel frame, an oxy\aceteline torch works well. Once the frame is out you could order vinyl replacement windows. They can be custom ordered to fit your openings. You will need to add exterior stop moldings. Caulk them well and use Tapcon screws to install them. I have done numerous replacements in this fasion.
Your local window supplier can help you with the sizes. I would avoid the big box stores and look for a decent window supplier like Harvey Industries, if you have one near by.

Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #3

I'd use a sawsall long before a torch.
And you had better order the winodows long before removing the old once since your going to be waiting for 2 weeks for the new one to come in.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #4

In this area, all the homes of the era in question (post war up to 1980 or so) have the metal framed windows installed. They were made right down the road, and that factory is still there.

They were 16x32 mostly. Actually a bit smaller than 16, allowing for some mortar on the bottom to make for a sill which was sloped.

Replacements (you can install them as hoppers or awning, or casement as far as that is concerned) are as close as the next Menards store and in stock.

Forget a torch or a saw or anything like that.

Take the screen and sash out. Get yourself a mason's chisel, a 3 lbs. hammer, and a long bar with one end flattened like a cold chisel.

Take the chisel and your hammer and knock out the mortar built up under the center of the frame on the inside of the building. Now take your long bar and put it in under the frame. Pry it up hard until the bottom is up near the top and the sides come in. Pry on the sides and beat on it until it comes out of the opening.

Now center your new window in the opening right to left and top to bottom. If you like, you can drill through the window frame into some plastic anchors set in the joints. But I don't think you must do this.

Go all around the window with fiberglass insulation, then backer rod to fit the crack. Then backer rod on the outside, and caulk the outside. You can caulk the inside as well.

These don't seem to want to go anywhere without screwing them in or using stops.

After you've done this a few times, you should be able to do six in a day with no problems.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #5

Sawzall=about twenty minutes and a couple good blades.
Chisel=a crap load of time and some busted knuckles.
Torch=very fast and very easy.
We've done dozens of these over the years and this is easily the most efficiant method we've found.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
DIY staff

I've never needed to remove the old frame---most windows slipped right in----
Old 10-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #7

If possible I think I would like to avoid having to remove the old frame. If I found some awning type windows that fit, I would just have to find some way to attach it to the existing frame? Would there be problems with that?

As another option, would it still be possible to find windows similar to the existing style that would fit? Or possibly have them made?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Google frame jump.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #9

Your photos don't provide much detail of the actual steel/concrete interface. I would suggest it may be possible to just bust it all out.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #10

This is an under 2 hour job and the replacement window costs less than $60.

Don't spend another 2 weeks talking about it, just do it.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #11

Okay, well thanks for all the input. We're working at getting harvest finished up and after that something will likely be happening along these lines.