Basement Window Leak - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement window leak

Looking for some advice on how to fix this problem. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I am finishing the basement of a 5-year-old home. One of the basement windows is leaking (during heavy rain). The leak seems to be coming from either the concrete side or the window side of the 2 X 6 pressure treated casing. The issue does not seem to be the window itself, but rather the installation and/or sealing of window.

Note that the water is not pooling in the window well and the weeping tile is training as it normally should. The water is penetrating from angled rain or water running down the house.

I will upload some photos to help visualize the issue.

-kr
Attached Thumbnails
Basement window leak-insideside-window.jpg   Basement window leak-insidetopofwindow.jpg   Basement window leak-outsidephoto.jpg  

Advertisement

alkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

Basement window leak

Welcome to the forum.

A simple hose test should tell you the actual point of entry of the leak. From that we can decide on the best plan to solve the issue.

EDIT: I don't see any weep holes on that window.

Advertisement

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-06-2012 at 06:33 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

Basement window leak

I do not see any nailing fin.
If it's a flat jamb window it should have been installed flush with the outside with trim around the window that covered about 1/2 of the window frame with silicone under the trim.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 764

Basement window leak

I had the same issue. The caulk failed around the windows. Recaulked outside and spray foamed inside. It's poor installation, so if you feel like reinstalling the window, it would be a good thing.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote