AW Door Fails To Open - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AW door fails to open

Hello! I hope you can help me on this one. I have a backdoor to the yard that only has "AW" name plus I believe a serial number. The door has a handle and three deadbolts. One deadbolt is above the handle that has a twist on lock handle. The other deadbolts are ear deadbolts, one on the upper corner of the door and one on the lower corner of the door. The way the locks work is this: one lifts the door handle up to engage the two corner ear deadbolts and then one twists the middle deadbolt lock handle above the door handle to secure and lock all three deadbolts in place. When all deadbolts are locked then the door handle goes back to its resting spot at 3 o'clock postion.

My problem now is this: I cannot open the door because the two corner ear deadbolts wont disengage. The middle deadbolt engages and disengages. The door handle is stuck in 2 o'clock position and wont go back to its resting position.

Please help. I dont have access to the backyard and I have a wheelchair bound son. Thank you very much for any assistance you can give.

Advertisement

fightdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

AW door fails to open

If I understand correctly, tap the jammed bolts back with a hammer and punch/screwdriver/etc. Be gentle and don't force it more than is necessary. Once you have it free, try to analyze why it is jamming, door warped, or something.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

AW door fails to open

You may be able to to pry the deadbolts down with a small pry bar.............. but I have had to cut them off with a recip saw before
and replace the entire multipoint lock assembly, so good luck
Repsol_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

AW door fails to open

Patio type door with glass??? Look at the coner of the glass for an etched logo, if yes, it is Andersen. There are not that many companies offering 3-point lock systems(usually only on high end doors), and they usually work well if the door is properly installed. If Andersen, check their website for service procedures.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote