Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Anyone Seen These Windows Before?

Hi all,

We bought our first house a year ago and are in the process of doing many DIY projects much like most of the posters on this forum. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this type of window setup. None of the windows in our house open, but there are louvered vents alongside many of the windows but not all. (fire escape hazard?) There's even a few large louvered vents in the living room standing by themselves (see pictures). I'm curious if anyone knows of other homes that have these or a time period they may have been made. This house was built in 1924 but it had a major remodel in the 40s.

Also, any ideas on how to insulate these from the cold outside air? I've put some rigid foam board (see pic) in for the winter but was wondering if anyone had an idea on something that would be better.

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Seen These Windows Before?-img_4669.jpg   Anyone Seen These Windows Before?-img_4670.jpg   Anyone Seen These Windows Before?-img_4671.jpg   Anyone Seen These Windows Before?-img_4675.jpg   Anyone Seen These Windows Before?-img_4678.jpg  

Anyone Seen These Windows Before?-img_4679.jpg  

tomdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2

That is a new design to me but looks pretty neat.

Actually the fact that the windows are sealed probably stands you in good stead from and energy standpoint.

Given that some of the older homes have windows that are made on site, you can have any number of configurations.

What you have done there with the foam board, looks spot on to me. I would just make sure that door is weatherstripped as well and that is about all you can do with it.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
tomdor (01-30-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 0

Around here, we see a fair amount of picture windows with louvers, but they are always horizontal underneath the glass. They leak terribly in winter, but as said above, your foam is good, just add weatherstripping.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
tomdor (01-30-2012)