Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Anyone ever installed a fresh install deadbolt on a steel hollow door?

i got a metal hollow door filled with honeycomb cardboard as a core down in the basement storage and i want to add more protection to it. It came with one bore hole but i want to add a deadbolt. My concern is that is it possible? this metal hollow door has no wood near the borehole section and is only welded 2 piece of metal for the cross bore for that bore hole only. If i made a new bore hole for a deadbolt is there any issue i will run in to? Like not being able to tighten the deadbolt to the door as it will wrap the door due to the door being hollow? Do i need to fill it with something and if so is there a product cause i can't find anything about it? or am i just thinking too much. Thank you.

bklynsoulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Yup, thinking to much.
Use a bimetal hole saw, drill through one side and only allow the pilot bit to come through the other side then stop. (do not all the way through both sides.)
Finish by boring the other hole from the other side of the door.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Before you even drill holes in the door, be certain that you can mount the bolt unit in the edge. If there is no solid blocking inside the door, there will be nothing to stop the bolt from flopping around. Also without blocking, the door will crush as you tighten the cylinder screws. All is not lost. Look inside the existing bore to try to learn how the door is constructed. Sometimes there is wood blocking in the lock area. Sometimes there is a wood strip along the edge to carry the bolt unit. In that case, cut some wood blocks that you can wedge inside the door to stop it from collapsing. If nothing else works, you can use a mounting channel like this:

http://www.don-jo.com/product-lines/...rap-around-10/

You can probably get one of these from a local locksmith or maybe a lumber yard.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

hey guys im in a situation, the drive in latch adapter that came with it does not fit snug, strange because i used a 1 inch hole saw for the cross bore hole and apparently it now alittle bigger that it wont fit snug into it but just passes through. how can i resolve this? i really appreciate the help.
bklynsoulja is offline   Reply With Quote