Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #1

Share |

Another Garage Door Question

Thanks to firehawkmph am really cooking with getting garage doors to function properly. I have one more issue and then I'm done. I installed the new door opener. It's a belt drive and this is my first experience with one.It works fine but there is one thing I'd like to correct.

The belt is too loose and as best I can tell it's because the trolley nut spring is too loose. The instructions say it is supposed to be 1 1/4 " long upon release.Mine is about 1 3/4" resulting in the belt kind of dangling.Can't figure out why. As best I can tell once the spring is released there is no compressing it back. I called Sears and they sent another spring. It did the same as the first.
The manual indicates to turn the spring nut clockwise. I did find 2 videos online showing the installer turning the nut counterclockwise to release the spring;that is the nut is turned toward the rail,opposite of how I'm doing but I find it hard to believe the instructions would be wrong.
Enclosed are pictures of the spring and the belt.
Help is appreciated.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Another Garage Door Question-img_0125.jpg   Another Garage Door Question-img_0127.jpg  

NJPhily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #2

Nj,
hard to tell by your pic, its kinda fuzzy. But it sounds like you didn't wind the spring assembly far enough onto the trolley shaft (threaded piece on the end of your belt). I could look at mine tomorrow and tell you which way to turn it. I buy the liftmaster openers from the garage door companies at the warehouse. The track is a T-shaped piece of steel and is one piece. It comes with the belt and pulleys all pre-assembled. The only thing I do once I bolt it up to the motorhead is to release the spring. The threaded trolley shaft needs to be threaded further into the spring assy. It has normal right hand threads, so you would be turning the nuts clockwise to tighten the belt. I'll look at mine tomorrow to make sure I'm telling you the right way.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #3

NJ,
I took a look at mine today. Just turn the square nut at the base of the spring clockwise. You are trying to thread it further onto the trolley shaft. As you turn it, you should see the belt start to tighten up. One thing to do first before tightening is to pull your disconnect cord so the trolley is not hooked up to the belt. This way there is no tension on the belt. Tighten up the spring until your slack is gone and the belt isn't hanging below the operator track. Should be simple. Let me know what happens.
Here's a pic of mine.
Mike Hawkins
Attached Thumbnails
Another Garage Door Question-img_20120527_123958.jpg  
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

It worked!. I did try that earlier and now realize I did not give it enough turns. At first the whole spring would turn which wasn't doing anything to tighten the belt.But by being more patient I found it would stop turning allowing the belt to tighten.
Thanks again for your help! I'm off to the store today to look for replacement door bottom seals and hopefully should be done with doors for a while.
NJPhily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NJPhily For This Useful Post:
firehawkmph (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Be sure to send firehawkmph a check.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
firehawkmph (05-31-2012)