Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Andersen window help

Hello, I'm new here and I need some help, we are having an addition built and in addition to the new windows in that section we chose to replace the original windows in the house. We selected the Andersen 400 series double hung as the style matched the house and because of their reputation. I noticed that on the Energy Star stickers on several of the windows the area in which we live is not included. These stickers do not show the northern region according to the Energy Star and Andersen's web site. I o=pointed this out to my GC and contacted Andersen, my GC contacted his supplier, they told him there must have been an error and the stickers were not correct. Andersen told me the stickers are generic, so even if my area is not highlighted it is still approved.

Well, not a surprise but when I contacted Energy Star they disagreed, if your area is not highlighted it is not approved I was told. At this point I believe Energy Star (ES hereafter) and not either Andersen or the supplier of the windows. The ES sticker has the order number printed on the bottom, so how can it be generic if the order number is printed on it?

The most troubling one is a side light that is installed with a double French door in the new master bedroom. the left side light is ES approved, but the right side is approved only for GA and FL.

I spent some time studying the stickers and noticed that every window that does not meet the standards has a Glazing code of HPT 0.0, while the others have this code HP2.2. Does anybody here have any idea what these codes mean, I know they refer to the glass type, but beyond that. See the photos below.

jwgcalifon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #2

Andersen window help

Not sure if this will help. I'm wondering if the order wasn't placed correctly and you wound up with a mish mosh of different glass.

This will show you how to identify the glass that's in the window.
http://parts.andersenwindows.com/Lea...ification.html

Go to page 12. It has notes on HP 2.2.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...0G0xsyarxNRfVA
Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

Andersen window help

Thanks that information was very helpful. I'll take a close look at the glass when I get home this evening and see what it says. I heard from my GC a few minutes ago, a sales rep from the lumber yard he used and the area Andersen rep are coming to our house to look at what we have. They will come tomorrow or Wednesday, hopefully they can tell me something I will believe.
jwgcalifon is offline   Reply With Quote