Andersen Vs. Marvin - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2005, 06:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Andersen Vs. Marvin

Looking for opinions on Andersen and Marvin windows/doors. Both companies make the sliding french door and transom window we are looking for; Marvin is $4000.00 more than Andersen. Is Marvin that much better than Andersen? Or is Andersen better? Thank you for your input. :confused:

Advertisement

segercasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #2

Andersen Vs. Marvin

I think you're paying too much for your sliding doors... try www.slidingdoorco.com, see what they can do for you

Advertisement

Jennifer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #3

Andersen Vs. Marvin

They are both good companies, but I don't think $4000 more is worth it either.
am_miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

Andersen Vs. Marvin

OK!!!!! First off you have no clue what you are talking about. I have been in the door business for quite sometime now! Please listen UP! Marven is one of the most innovative Window and Door Co. On the PLANET!!! Don't ever let some one compare the Two. If you cut into an Anderson it is a load of crap. It's Like Land Rover vs. Hummer. Land Rover Is a high quality slightly more expensive than Hummer, yet it comes with the highest technology Off road ability in the World. When you look in a Hummer everything is plastic and it has nothing too it. What I am trying to Say is, when you go to buy a door The best companies on the lot are Hurd, Weather Shield, Marvin, and Jeld-Wen, don't be fooled buy Anderson or Pella or stuff like Crestline, It's the cheapest stuff out there. A Marven Window or Door is finished inside and out, no glue or anything showing. Anderson has glue showing through the Glass and a bunch of other things, if you would like to see pictures let me know

Thanks

Tanner

Last edited by stwsam2; 01-08-2009 at 06:17 PM.
stwsam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,274

Andersen Vs. Marvin

2 year old post.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Andersen Vs. Marvin

id get the land rover
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Andersen Vs. Marvin

Yup, someone responded to an old post. While we are on this topic I am planning on getting some new doors next year. I would absolutely like an education on why Pella and Anderson are not as good. Pictures would be great.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Andersen Vs. Marvin

In spite of what Sam said, IMHO Andersen offers the best bang for the buck, and backs it up with quality service. I have had too many customers with Pella door problems that Pella would not address, specifically, rotted frames. Andersen has sent me parts for customers doors/windows long after the warranties have expired, for free.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Andersen Vs. Marvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwsam2 View Post
OK!!!!! First off you have no clue what you are talking about. I have been in the door business for quite sometime now! Please listen UP! Marven is one of the most innovative Window and Door Co. On the PLANET!!! Don't ever let some one compare the Two. If you cut into an Anderson it is a load of crap. It's Like Land Rover vs. Hummer. Land Rover Is a high quality slightly more expensive than Hummer, yet it comes with the highest technology Off road ability in the World. When you look in a Hummer everything is plastic and it has nothing too it. What I am trying to Say is, when you go to buy a door The best companies on the lot are Hurd, Weather Shield, Marvin, and Jeld-Wen, don't be fooled buy Anderson or Pella or stuff like Crestline, It's the cheapest stuff out there. A Marven Window or Door is finished inside and out, no glue or anything showing. Anderson has glue showing through the Glass and a bunch of other things, if you would like to see pictures let me know

Thanks

Tanner
Tanner,
Your wrong, Andersen is propably the best on the market, then Marvin, then Kolbe & Koble - actually if you cut in an Andersen Patio door you see all the make of the best patio door made-an LVL wood rail in side stile and rails , both mortise and tenden joints on all four conrners, all wood is treated after it's cut and milled with a water preservative then vinyl extrued on the wood, a true thermal broken sill, a steel capped track, a completely covered exterior in vinyl system frame called prema shield, no chance for moisture or water in get in side, two phenolic finishes to stop moisture, one inside under veener and one under the vinyl sheeth on the exterior, all sides patio door panels are actually covered with a flexcon coat of paint -no exposed wood-no chance of water to rott the panel inside out, HP-glass Low-e 4 glass which sheds water so you do not get water spots on the glass-99% less water spots than regular low-e doors-you can get parts for most andersen products since 1939-no other company keeps parts, most change their doors and change parts and you can no longer get parts- Andersen sell approx 7 million patio doors a year- more than any other company- if you need service -Andersen has the largest network available- 20/10 year transferable warranty- ask to see the cut aways from your local dealers of both products- see for your self- weather it's a Home Depot or a lumber yard both companies can call their local reps to get or bring in corner sections- Andersen then Marvin you will see the difference for your self Tanner is full of himself-
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #10

Andersen Vs. Marvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by segercasey View Post
Looking for opinions on Andersen and Marvin windows/doors. Both companies make the sliding french door and transom window we are looking for; Marvin is $4000.00 more than Andersen. Is Marvin that much better than Andersen? Or is Andersen better? Thank you for your input. :confused:

Please ask to see corner sections of both products- see my note too Tanner- if you can not see the difference- then I have land in FL to sell you - Andersen should clearly be your choice- please let know if you need more info I clearly spell it out-
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #11

Andersen Vs. Marvin

I purchased an Andersen 400 series sliding patio door in July, 2005. It was installed by a contrator in July, 2005. This was an oak frame door with tetratone on the outside and wood finish on the inside. About Nov. 2008, I started having trouble closing the door due to the door warping. Anderson refused to warranty the door. They stated that because I had left the interior wood unstained that was what caused the door to warp. So, my game plan is to try to straighten the door frame if possible. If not, then I will be replacing it, and not with an Andersen. Any other ideas on resolving this? Thanks
67camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,230

Andersen Vs. Marvin

You'd think somebody who's been in the door business for "quite sometime" (sic) would at least know how to spell Marvin.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #13

Andersen Vs. Marvin

I am in the market for either Marvin or Andersen custom-size replacement windows. A certain well-known Consumer Testing Company in October, 2007 evaluated these two brands and they appeared to be very close in terms of their rating scores. At that time, Marvin was more expensive than Andersen, but since then, Marvin has come down in price to be competitively priced. Marvin was rated slightly better in durability at that time too. I checked the current U-Factor for Marvin Ultimate Casements and it is listed as 0.30. Andersen's U-Factor is listed as 0.28 for their casements. Andersen is still slightly lower priced, but not enough to make a difference. I do wish there was a more up to date set of independent test reports from that Consumer Testing Company or a similar independent testing company. What is the current informed opinion on selecting one of these two brands ?
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #14

Andersen Vs. Marvin

I dont like either of them but I would go with Andersen over Marvin mainly because they are nearly rated the same but Marvin is more expensive. The extra cost does not make enough of a difference. Also, those consumer reports are very inaccurate. I know they have one of the worst known roofing shingles on the market rated near the top.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #15

Andersen Vs. Marvin

I have no experience with Anderson but I love our Marvin windows.

Advertisement

BimmerRacer is offline   Reply With Quote