Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Andersen Casement Windows

I am writing with two questions about Andersen Casement Windows.

1.) I have these "crank" windows throughout my home. They are original windows to the home as built in 1980. The exterior color of the windows is terratone and, unfortunately, it is fading quite heavily in some areas. I've been thinking about buying the Terratone Color Aerosol Spray Paint to improve the look.

Does anyone have experience using this paint and/or can you speak to how effective this approach might be? I view the problem as entirely cosmetic. I realize this is a temporarily solution to the problem and the paint will also fade, but perhaps I'd get a couple of years out of it? I'd appreciate any input.

2.) One of my Andersen Casement windows has three pains and the middle pain has frosted over. Is it possible to simply replace the middle pain, or must the entire window be replaced?

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

aumanpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,348

Without being able to see it not sure how anyone here would know if the pane can just be replaced, need a picture.
What's the material your trying to paint?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

In this photo you can see the middle pain is frosted. I wonder if the middle pain can be replaced without replacing the entire window. You can also see at the bottom right corner of the trim, the window's terratone finish is discolored. I wonder if the terratone finish can be well refreshed using the Andersen paint identified in the original post.

Thank you for your attention, joecaption. I should have provided this photo in the original message.

Last edited by aumanpj; 07-23-2013 at 06:27 PM.
aumanpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 536

On glass: yes, generally it can be replaced by the panel.
On the paint: with some prep work , masking, etc, it would probably be serviceable as a "band aid" for a bit. Won't have the same quality of a factory finish obviously, but if you do a good job I'd think that it could look fine for a while.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #5

No, the middle pane cannot be replaced. You should buy a new sash.

The exterior has not faded, but will get a haze to it. Try cleaning it with a citrus cleaner. Or #0000 steel wool.
mknasa dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknasa dad View Post

The exterior has not faded, but will get a haze to it. Try cleaning it with a citrus cleaner. Or #0000 steel wool.
+1
You should be able to get a replacement sash through any lumberyard that sells Andersen windows. The outsides of the sashes are vinyl clad. Not sure how aerosol paint would stick unless it's made for vinyl, or maybe use a vinyl primer. Krylon makes a primer for vinyl that's made to paint stuff like Little Tykes toys. If it works on them, I would think it would work on your sashes.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Home Performance

Quote:

I don't handle much Andersen so admittedly I have not had the opportunity to replace an IG in one. What prevents that from being done?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #8

You can replace the IG unit, but not the middle pane. Expect to replace the glazing beads as well.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Home Performance

Quote:
You can replace the IG unit, but not the middle pane. Expect to replace the glazing beads as well.
That is what I thought. It looks like a 3 panel , double pane unit to me, so I assume that the OP was referring to the center PANEL not the middle PANE of the the unit. OP, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...
If I'm correct, I'd stand by my original recommendation of replacing the IGU. Sash replacement is a possibility as well, but it will cost more and it will likely stand out to have a shiny new sash in a faded old frame. Just my $.02
Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #10

I didn't see the pic linked. That should have a double pane glass that is IIRC 3/8" thick. Assuming I am correct, the glass should be a "welded " glass, meaning there is no spacer bar. No matter what, the glass will look different since the welded glass is obsolete. A glazing company would be able to replace that.