Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Aluminum Window Replacement

I'll be removing siding from my home in a few weeks. While the siding is removed from the house, I would like to replace 8 aluminum sliding windows with vinyl sliders. There's no exterior window flange going over the siding.

I'm getting myself into a dizzy here, I'd rather not remove the aluminum frames for fear of what I may find underneath. Going that route, would i require a finless window or a flush fin?

Do i measure inside the pockets or outside the pockets (from the metal fins)?

For a fin less window going into an existing aluminum frame, is the old aluminum frame revealed on the exterior? how does that get covered?
Attached Thumbnails
Aluminum Window Replacement-laundry11.jpg   Aluminum Window Replacement-laundry22.jpg   Aluminum Window Replacement-laundryexterior.jpg  

Last edited by Westbrook; 03-30-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added ext. photo
Westbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #2

Back up and take another picture of the inside.
Is this a mobile home or a porch window?
Looks more like a storm window in there then a real window.

Why would you want a slider and not a double hung window.
More air tight, easy to clean the whole window from the inside.

There called a flat jamb window, in most cases that the last type I suggest.
Why is the siding coming off.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

Siding is coming off because I am installing new vinyl siding. Figured that was a good time to replace the sliders.

I chose to replace with sliders because that's what's in there now and i want to replace without having chubby looking double-hungs. This particular window RO is approx 34.5"Wx34"H.

2 story colonial home, 1900 sq ft. Interior is sheetrock, exterior is steel siding from 1970's.

Storm window on the outside of the aluminum window.

Would home depot have "flat jamb" windows? is there another common name for that type of window?

I guess i'm just confused on the various window types:
fin less
flush fin

do these refer to the exterior moulding? nailer?
Attached Thumbnails
Aluminum Window Replacement-laundryfull.jpg  
Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #4

What are you replacing the siding with?

Flat jambs are the hardest type to get a water and air tight seal.
Order new constrution windows with built in J moulding and install time on the siding is reduced and with window tape you can get an air and water tight seal.
The very last place I would be ordering windows from is a box store.
Who's going to be doing all this work?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Not to throw off your thinking, but since you are installing new siding, you could frame down those openings and install double hung windows that would make your home look a lot more "Colonial" It would not take too much since you are re-siding anyway, and you could trim the inside to make them look nice.

Just a thought. Good Luck!

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

jagans, your idea is good, however for my tight budget adding lumber to build for DH windows is out for me. also, my dining room window is like 52x72 and that is something i'm trying to avoid as well. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

joecaption, i like your idea. my next concern is the sill is flat. how do i build a sloped sill? or is there a product that can be applied to the sill to make it sloped?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #7

New constrution or flat jambs all install the same except far more involved to install a flat jamb, no need to change anything with the rough opening you have now.
Just not a big fan of sliding windows.
Anyone I know that has them wishes they were gone.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

+1

Sliders are notorious for air leaks as compared to Double hungs.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Casement Windows? They are really nice and tight, albeit not usual on a Colonial. You must be spending a lot on energy with those sliders, maybe you can get a deal from your energy provider, or pay for a loan with the money saved per month. Just a thought, I know times are tight.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbrook View Post
I'd rather not remove the aluminum frames for fear of what I may find underneath.
You'll be removing the siding, what's your plan if/when you find rot under that?

If your budgets that tight then you might want to order just half the windows and
siding at first until you know what your're getting into.

You can fear what's underneath if you wish but what's the point of new windows and siding if you're not going to take care of any structure issues at the same time.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Casement Windows? They are really nice and tight, albeit not usual on a Colonial. You must be spending a lot on energy with those sliders, maybe you can get a deal from your energy provider, or pay for a loan with the money saved per month. Just a thought, I know times are tight.
Casements are my favorite and if the OP is removing the siding, he 100% should pull the fins and go full new construction.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #12

Great feedback gang. Windows on wash, slider air leaks through the glass itself or poor installation?

I am losing quite a bit of conditioned air and heat through the windows. I can feel air through the panels. Figured anything available today is better than the single pane glass aluminum frames. Winter months are the worst, we conserve any other month.

Old man is my siding guy, material is already taken care of just waiting for nice weather. If I find rot that will certainly be resolved, I own my home and take no chances. My comment for tight budget was in reference to spend more to build out framing for DH's. I already know I have rotted facia boards on the front and will replace those.

So in summary, new construction, sliders, with integrated J-channel. Anyone have experience with DuPont flexWrap?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #13

Since you are in southeast PA area I would look into B.F. Rich Cabernet tilt and slide window. They are sliding windows but instead of the type that lifts out of the frame they are able to be tilted in for a larger opening or for easy cleaning. Think of a double hung window turned on its side. They seal a lot better then ordinary sliders. Here is a link for it. http://www.bfrich.com/cabernet.html

I believe it has the option for nailing flange and J-channel. The company I work for in Phila. is a dealer of these windows. If you have any questions on those let me know and I will get the info.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbrook View Post
Great feedback gang. Windows on wash, slider air leaks through the glass itself or poor installation?

I am losing quite a bit of conditioned air and heat through the windows. I can feel air through the panels. Figured anything available today is better than the single pane glass aluminum frames. Winter months are the worst, we conserve any other month.

Old man is my siding guy, material is already taken care of just waiting for nice weather. If I find rot that will certainly be resolved, I own my home and take no chances. My comment for tight budget was in reference to spend more to build out framing for DH's. I already know I have rotted facia boards on the front and will replace those.

So in summary, new construction, sliders, with integrated J-channel. Anyone have experience with DuPont flexWrap?
At the meeting rail.

Tyvek Flex Wrap and Straight Flash are a well though out system.

My personal favorites in terms of windows are HiMark, Soft-Lite, and Sunrise.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
AHH, SPANS!!!

go with new construction windows with the nail fin since you are removing the exterior siding and will have access to nail the fins around the rough window hole. you will have to cut into the drywall jamb some on the interior because the new window will be 4 5/8" wide from the nailing fin, unlike the thin jamb on the window you have now. actually, with a slider the window jamb width could be 3" and then that depends to on the window make and model.

as a side note- take that aluminum siding to the scrap yard when you pull it off the house, do not throw it away. I was $700.00 in the green on one job where we pulled all of the aluminum siding to get back to original siding underneath (older house with character that was hidden when the aluminum salesmen showed up at the door in the 70's).

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote