Aluminum Or Vinyl Screen Door - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 780

aluminum or vinyl screen door

My porch screen door closes snugly but the pressure arm (whatever it's called) is shot so the door slams. Also the handle corroded thru but I fixed it with a washer. Now the screen is breaking off where it's attached.

I just had an idea, if they're the same size, to put my front screen door, which for some reason is in better shape (maybe less use), on the back and buy a new front door as I want a white one and these are dark brown.

They both appear to be 30 y.o. and original to the house. They're aluminum.

Which is a better screen door, vinyl or aluminum?

I've not heard good reviews on having H.D. install cabinets, but what about a door. It shouldn't be complex if it's a standard size. (?)

I even wonder if my daughter and I could install it? We're not overly handy but we try and have accomplished things which even surprise us!

Are there any brand names that are better than others?

I've only looked at H.D.'s site and didn't see much. The porch screen door still has a visible ph. number of the original installer, maybe I'll call them for an estimate. Also, I won't ever leave the front door open so why do I need a screen? I feel more secure opening the front door when there's something between me and whoever is outside. In that case maybe a glass storm door would be better? As it is, this front screen door has decorative burglar bars on it.

edit: just looked at glass storm doors and the price is double but I like them more. These burglar bars make it look like I'm afraid. I am afraid, but I don't want to look like it.

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by Startingover; 10-13-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

You do realize unless you buy a more expensive storm door with a dead bolt a simple tug on the door is going to just snap off the latch to allow someone access.
Is this door in the direct sun during the day? If so I'd pass on a full view door.
Reason being it's going to act like a solar panel and can destroy the regular door.
If you own a drill, some drill bits, tape measure and maybe a hacksaw you can install a storm door.

Advertisement

Startingover (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #3

Joe,

My front door does not get any direct sun. Yes, I own a drill.

I really thought storm doors were tougher than tugging would open them. I'll keep that in mind when I shop for one.

No, I don't want to spend extra for a dead bolt on a storm door.

thank you and as always I appreciate your help.

Last edited by Startingover; 10-13-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,486

The aluminum clad doors are heavier and also feel more robust than the vinyl clad doors, they cost more but typically do have a longer warranty period.

The only downside to the aluminum doors is that if you scratch the finish it will show more than the same scratch on a vinyl door because the vinyl cladding is the same color all the way through.

Installing storm doors is not difficult, they all come with pretty straight forward directions. The only difficult part may (or may not) be actually lifting and holding the door in place long enough to get a couple of screws into it. Other than that if can follow directions and use a screw gun it's pretty easy.

I've installed more Larson doors than any other and never had any issues with them. The reason for the Larsons was more about their availability to me and if it wasn't in stock I could get just about anything in catalogue in just a couple of days.

Have you tried adjusting the closure (pressure arm)? There's a screw at the end of it on the door side that adjust how fast the door closes. If the closure is shot you can buy a replacement for $10-15.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Startingover (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #5

kwikfishron,

Didn't know the pressure arm was adjustable. I'll check it out.

thank you!