Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #1

Share |

Alternative for frosted glass?

Nobody in my area carries frosted glass, but i have two windows in my master bedroom to allow light that are frosted, and are 6' long, and they are missing, and a frosted window in the master bath that is broken by a rock, and a window by the front door that is broken and frosted that is broken by a rock. Rain is coming in these outer windows and i have no idea how to replace them because normal glass just isnt made in 1' x 6' strips. What else can i use?

firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode View Post
Nobody in my area carries frosted glass
That's strange, have you called a local glass/glazing shop? If they don't have it they can certainly get it in short order.

Frosted Glass is also known as Obscure Glass.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-31-2012), HomeSealed (07-31-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #3

Post a picture.
It's going to be a real pain to even try and transport and handle piece that narrow with out breaking it.
I think I'd go with tempered glass or Lexan and just use some stick on frosting. It comes in rolls.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #4

Kwikfishron: I called every glass shop in every town i have a phone book for. Nobody carries it and for them to order it would be way outrageous prices. i ordered normal glass to fix the other windows and paid 121, for the frosted it would cost 136 plus freight and tax, final cost over 200.

Joecaption: i intended to use tempered glass but somehow it is even more expensive than the frosted because they also have to order it. i just dont have that much. I know it will be a pain to handle a thin piece like that, so im looking for any other option i can use to fill these holes against the rain.

How about repairing the glass? Is there any way to just put something in the hole for now and caulk it against the rain? i put some trash bag plastic over it for now, but the first big windstorm ripped it right off, so it did no good.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #5

i will try to post some photos of it online tonight, after i get home so i can take some photos of it.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #6

OK, i have some pics of the shorter piece by the front door, i couldnt get a good one of the 6' pieces
Attached Thumbnails
Alternative for frosted glass?-outside.jpg  
Old 07-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Household Handyman

My son was "fixing up" an older 1921 built house some years ago that had two large windows in the master bath. My DIL could not accept the fact that someone just might be able to see into those windows after dark with inside lights on. We found a kit at one of our two local glass shops much like window tint but is frosted. You apply it just as you would window tint and it give the frosted look without having to replace the glass. A bit expensive but looked really good.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Go to Ace Hardware, Menard's, Lowe's, Home Depot, and get the Frosted film. As for that trailer, you can order those windows through any mobile home supply company. Personally I hate older trailers, due to they are no better than a backyard shed and just as cheaply built.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #9

the frosted film wont work, because the windows are either broken out or missing. the film needs something to adhere to. Ive talked to every mobile home supply company in my area and they just dont carry these windows anymore. i dont care much for older trailers either but its either i live in this or i live on the streets, so i dont really have a choice.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #10

Try looking for corrugated or flat translucent fiberglass panels at most lumber yards or even some home centers . It won't be perfect but may solve the weather problem temporarily .
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Home Performance

It just does not make any sense that no local glass company has frosted glass. I have family members that own a glass company and they always have 4x8 sheets and/or cut-offs of other random stuff laying around including different types of obscure/frosted glass. The stuff is easily cut to size as well.

Last edited by HomeSealed; 09-12-2012 at 12:29 PM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
Bombastic Idiot

Firsttimer, what is your location? Frosted glass is not rare commodity. What folks are saying is replace panes with regular glass, then apply film or brush on frosting.Or reverse those steps. Brush on will need a clear seal coat over it. Plastics can be frosted with fine sandpaper, steel wool, or even a hand ful of wet sand. There are kits for etching or frosting glass using relatively safe chemicals (rubber gloves, eye shield, don't spill.) location is important there to. Are you in fire ant territory? ( Bet you didn't see that coming.) Formic acid is an ingredient in many etchers, formic acid is what gives ant stings their sting. If a fire ant gets the slightest whiff of it, it goes into rage mode, disturb one ant and she releases a whiff and everybody wants sign up and join the army. If fire ants smell you etching with formic acid, and they will, they're incredibly sensitive , you could find yourself under attack by hordes of fire ants, and their uncles, cousins, shiftless brothers-in-law, and anybody else they can drag along.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #13

Like i said earlier, they wont cut glass into pieces that are 1' x 6'. they would never make it home, let alone into the window. And yes, this is fireant country. Im in east texas, fire ants are horrible out here except for December through late February
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
Home Performance

There is no reason that they couldn't with careful handling... or you could have them do it on site... or if there is a removable sash, take that in and have them install the glass directly into the sash. All said and done, you may end up paying $100-$200, but I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for here. Their is no magic $20 solution. Time and materials cost money....
You could probably buy a piece of lexan from HD or wherever if you want. The downside is that is scratches very easily, but if you want it frosted anyway, who cares. Hit it with some 100 grit and there you go.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
Bombastic Idiot

Well hidee there, firsttimer, I'm over here in Mesquite. what county are you in? I have done business with a couple of places in Tyler. It makes no sense that no one will cut it. Did any of the companies say why they wouldn't cut that size? They ship cut glass all over, it just needs to be properly crated. Your best bet may be to go with one of the plastics, easier to haul, depending on thickness you may be able to cut it yourself with scoring tool. If rain is coming in, or was coming in, I remember rain, we had a bit a couple of months back, 40% chance of some Thursday evening, bite the bullet and at least put plywood over windows untill you get some real stuff.

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote