Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Advice needed prehung door

A contractor installed a pre-hung J Welden door about a year ago when I decided to add an enclosed porch off the back of my house. In the beginning their weren't any issues with closing the door. Currently the door gets "hung-up" on the bottom threshold when closing and I have to kick the bottom of the door in order to close it properly. I removed the threshold screws and brown threshold piece to see if something was impinged underneath. Found nothing. Put it back on and screw down as far as it will go. The door still gets "hung -up". Just need some advice on how to rectify this issue. Thanks for any help.

mjarema414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Do not understand how the building of a enclosed porch caused the door to hang up, unless someone screwed something up. Pictures help.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,090

Of course you have checked for loose hindge screws, checked with a level to see if the door is still plumb and level, checked the corners with a framing square, right?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Do not understand how the building of a enclosed porch caused the door to hang up, unless someone screwed something up. Pictures help.
The contractor built an enclosed porch under an existing roof. New framing, drywall, exterior door small deck/landing etc. My house was built in the 1920's. I'm having issues with the door. It progressively got worse as the temperature changed from winter/spring/summer over the last year. It closes but I can't use the deadbolt and the bottom of the door gets "hung-up" on the threshold piece. If I kick the bottom it closes properly. Like I said, I removed the threshold piece and put it back on just to problem solve. I have no clue what to try at this point but I'd just like the door to shut properly. Will post pics tonight. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #5

Joe, some of the hinge screws are tight and there are a few that keep turning as I tighten them. I did buy some longer screws for the hinges and it didn't work. Having the same issue. The other things I will check tonight and report back. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Of course you have checked for loose hindge screws, checked with a level to see if the door is still plumb and level, checked the corners with a framing square, right?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Home Remodeler

Rewards Points: 152

Might try a couple of 2 1/2 inch screws on the upper hinge.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikey48 For This Useful Post:
mjarema414 (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,090

A little longer is going to do nothing, they need to be long enough to reach the jack stud behind the jamb.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mjarema414 (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Home Remodeler

Rewards Points: 152

2 1/2 should reach them.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey48 View Post
2 1/2 should reach them.
Thanks to the folks in this post, 2 1/2 screw in top hinge did the trick. Thanks so much.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarema414 View Post
Thanks to the folks in this post, 2 1/2 screw in top hinge did the trick. Thanks so much.

I have personally fixed lot and lots of doors that way, almost every house in existence has a sagging door due to improper installation. The look on homeowners face when you fix a problem they have had for years in 2 seconds with one screw is a sight to see. sometimes a hinge pin will wear down and that causes the door to sag too, there is usually black looking dust around the hinge when that is the issue...

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote