DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Advice on installing block/box frame sliding glass door

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  downtownjoe 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have as weird one that the interweb doesnt help shedding light on. I purchased a block/box frame from an individual who purchase it so he could remove his old one and use the existing installation and slide this one in its place. Unfortunately the window was a few inches larger than his old one and he would have need to MOD it to fit in. My issue after buying this unit, is that it does not have a nail fin/weather proof fin to aid in the installation and I cant find any info on how to do it properly. And Milgard wont help at all. I guess explaining how to install their product is a liability. Although Jeldwen and Pella have awesome instructions for their products. Anyways, here is my problem. I am going to remove this window and frame in the opening for the door where you see the king stud in the upper left hand corner. My main point of concern is the proper way to flash this door so that it is extremely weather proof. This door is going on the most weather hit side of my house. After cutting the opening, I am going to take a piece of 1x4 cedar and mark the siding and set my saw to just rip the siding and leave the osb board then I will use the 1x4 to case the outside of the window. I need ideas on how to hang the door properly. Do I flush the 1/2 in lip with the osb board, or the outside of the siding before the casing? And thoughts and opinions on creating my own sill pan with 6 in wide aluminum flashing. And how to flashing the resxt of the unit? Thanks any questions you need please ask, I appreciate the help immensely!

Here is the bottom of the window, so you can get an idea of the tracks/channels

I guess I need 5 posts to post pictures so i added them to my profile in albums, hopefully someone will take the time to see what I am describing. Thanks again!!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.