Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

adjusting a swing/tilt type garage door

Hi all,

I've got a 23' wide swing/tilt type wooden garage door from the 60's. It's nicely built and I don't want to replace it with a roll-up door. However, the door is out of adjustment and is preventing the opener from opening and closing the door without grinding against one side of the rough opening.

I haven't had much luck finding DIY's on adjusting these swing-out doors - most of the stuff online seems to be about roll-up doors and the dreaded torsion springs.

At the close position on one side, the bottom of the door comes about 1 inch from the threshold of the garage floor. One the other side, the gap is close to 3 or 4 inches.

There are solid torsion bars that go across the length of the door at the top and bottom - what are these for? Should I tighten them, loosen them? I've made sure that all nuts and bolts on both sides of the door are nice and tight. What I'm looking for is a procedure for aligning the door to the rough opening, starting from scratch.

Thanks for your help, guys.

yhfwd05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,020

adjusting a swing/tilt type garage door

"There are solid torsion bars that go across the length of the door at the top and bottom - what are these for? Should I tighten them, loosen them? "

Thats where the problem lies,DO NOT attempt to adjust these yourself,time to call the pros.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote