Adjusting French Doors - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Adjusting French Doors

I have recently hung outside hinged french doors. The gap in the middle where the doors close together is too wide. How do I adjust to bring the doors closer togewther and close the gap to make a tight seal?

Advertisement

Mikedotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Adjusting French Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedotcom View Post
I have recently hung outside hinged french doors. The gap in the middle where the doors close together is too wide. How do I adjust to bring the doors closer togewther and close the gap to make a tight seal?
Which manufacturer did you use?
The instructions should have explained the adjustment process, but if it's unclear, let us know.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Adjusting French Doors

Did these come with a new pre-hung frame around them or are you trying to use the existing door frame? Is the new frame level and square including the floor span underneath? French doors can be tricky. You sometimes have to jack up the floor joist under them to square and level the floorspan. Not trying to be insulting by the way but many forget to check for level/square along the floor and just square and level the header and sides of french doors. You would not be the first person to get french doors and new frame the wrong size for an opening either. This would leave you with a gap in the middle.

As mentioned, the instructions for a new frame and doors should have come with adjustment instructions.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,824

Adjusting French Doors

Do the doors have a T strip? If not you can install one to make the gap right, I always hated installing them, you will see why if you install one.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjusting french doors , hanging doors