Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #1

Share |

adding window trim

ive been thinking of adding window trim to our windows.

i just want a simple trim, nothing fancy. could i just use regular trim and nail gun it to drywall? i might want to add a stool and apron... not sure. do i need to add wood to the inner portion of the window frame?

this is what they currently look like.
joshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #2

adding window trim

It's called picture framing, and yes it can be done without jambs and a stool.
Is this a mobil home?
The reason I ask is the really thin single paned looking windows.
If that thin strip at the bottom of the window is where you lift it to open it I'm not sure you could even install wood jambs unless you made them out of thin plywood, or removing the sheetrock first.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #3

adding window trim

thanks for the quick reply joecaption

it isnt a mobile home... however, there are lots of manufactured homes in our neighborhood. they are actually double paned windows... just really old. this house was built in 97 and im sure they are the original windows. we just moved into this house about 2 months ago and looking to upgrade the look of the house.

yeh there is a thin strip where you lift the window. i was thinking i would need a thin piece of wood if i were to do a stool and apron. i like the look of the stool and apron but might just go with the picture framed route for ease and cost.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #4

adding window trim

Just a personal opion. I would live in the house for a year before adding that trim. The reason I suggest this is I'm betting those window are going to leak air and may even frost up on the inside in the winter.
In the long run it would save you money not cost you money to replace them with better windows if you find the items I mentioned are happening.

I'm just going by that one picture, the window frames look to be about 1/2 the width of a quality window.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #5

adding window trim

ah, yeh, i guess it would save money in the long run. i eventually want to replace all the windows but that costs so much $$$$$ :P the current windows are aluminum frame. is there any way to test if they leak besides waiting for them to frost during the winder? i live in southern california so it probably won't frost. it was 92 degrees today and it doesnt get below 50deg in during the night that often.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #6

adding window trim

You can get away with a cheaper window in your climet. In your case where you would most likly save is in A/C cost.
An alumium window like that one transfures heat or cold through the frames.
A better window would have a thermal break in the middle of the frame to stop that.

I'd guess you also have stucco on the outside walls? If so then it's a whole lot harder to change those windows.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Windows & Remodeling

adding window trim

Regarding the original question, it can definitely be done, but as Joe menntioned, the window frame is too narrow to add returns/jamb extensions over the drywall. It would look foolish IMO to just add picture frame casing on the wall surface with painted drywall returns. You would need to tear the drywall off those returns but it will be a messy job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

adding window trim

+1

That thing is so narrow, it will look funky.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #9

adding window trim

gotcha! i'll save the trim for when i put in new windows someday. for now ill stick with nice window treatments to dress them up.

thanks for the advice guys! this was exactly what i was looking for. i didnt know if it would look good or not.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Windows & Remodeling

adding window trim

That sounds like a good plan.

HomeSealed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
AHH, SPANS!!!

adding window trim

I've seen it done. pre build the picture frames out of interior pvc trim and glue them on with nails driven outside of the drywall corner bead to hold them on,but like everyone else is saying, save the funds for a better window that needs interior trim anyway...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
journeyman carpenter

adding window trim

if you do go with trim your going to want to remove the drywall returns for two reasons.. if you use a nailer you wont be able to shoot through the metal corner bead.. and if its plastic corner bead the plastic and bond will explode

2nd the drywall will have little holding power for the gun nails
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote