Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Share |

Adding screen door to french patio doors?

Wife and I have a fairly narrow (48" wide opening) set of in-swinging french doors out to the back yard. Left door is active, right door is passive.

We'd love to add a screen door to the outside. Is it possible to have sliding screen doors, like you'd find with a sliding patio door? Can tracks be added at the top and bottom to accommodate that?

red92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Home Performance

I'm guessing that someone makes a retrofit kit for that, otherwise some doors have those tracks built in. They also make retactable kits for them. The nicest look imo is a double storm door with an astragal kit. It would definitely be a custom deal however as a 24" storm is not gonna be common.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #3

Yeah - what "HomeSealed" says -
"special order"!
Ouch! - I can see the money flying away!
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #4

do a search for retractable screen doors.
They have a track for top and bottom the door bolts to the jamb and just slide it across and will latch to a strip on the other jamb. They roll up on themselves like a window shade that you would pull down.
The ones I have installed cost a little more then a standard screen door.
They are pretty well constructed and last a long time. The advantage is, You have these beautiful French doors you installed and do not want to cover them up with ugly screen doors. these retract to the side and almost become invisible, and same time when in use, is all screen and still almost invisible.

For larger french doors, you would get 2 retractable screen doors and the would meet in the middle.
For a 48" door am sure you could just use one.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Home Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
do a search for retractable screen doors.
They have a track for top and bottom the door bolts to the jamb and just slide it across and will latch to a strip on the other jamb. They roll up on themselves like a window shade that you would pull down.
The ones I have installed cost a little more then a standard screen door.
They are pretty well constructed and last a long time. The advantage is, You have these beautiful French doors you installed and do not want to cover them up with ugly screen doors. these retract to the side and almost become invisible, and same time when in use, is all screen and still almost invisible.

For larger french doors, you would get 2 retractable screen doors and the would meet in the middle.
For a 48" door am sure you could just use one.
A high quality, full view storm/screen will not be ugly, and will be a bit more durable than a retractable screen (in addition to protecting those beautiful french doors and improving their energy efficiency). It is a valid option, but the overall sentiment that I've heard from my clients is that they were not satisfied when used in an opening that sees regular traffic. They have their place to be sure, just make sure to buy one of the better units (run anywhere between $200-$500) and have reasonable expectations as to the durability. If you wouldn't put one on your front door, I would not put one on a french door that is used just as frequently.