Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

Share |

Adding a patio door with stucco siding

Hey Gents,

Looking at the prospect of adding a patio window (and subsequent deck) where we have a 48 inch wide window currently.

Regardless of what door I pick, my biggest questions come with sealing the exterior of the door with the existing stucco. According to the lumber yard, you stick the door in your opening, nail it in, add a drip edge to the top of the door, then use the 4-5 inch wide flashing tape to seal everything to the house. Brick moulding goes over and then siding up to that.

In an ideal world, I would only have to remove enough stucco to allow for the nailing edge, drip edge, and the brick moulding. If I end up cutting back to add the tape, I will have to add back stucco. I am unfamiliar with anything but cutting and removing stucco, and finding someone who works with it has been unfruitful so far. The way I see it if you seal the brick molding to the door and seal the molding to the stucco, you should have a weather proof seal.

Getting anyone to talk to me about stucco specific options has been difficult, seems all anyone wants to talk about is lap siding and such options (that they sell of course). Does anyone have any specific experience that they can share as to how you sealed a door or window in stucco?
quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote