Acrylic Skylights - How To Block UV Rays & Heat? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Acrylic Skylights - how to block UV rays & heat?

My mom is staying with us and she is recovering from skin cancer. The main living space in our house, where she likes to sit with her little dog, has two large "bubble" skylights.

The Florida sun is starting to get strong again this time of year and you could literally get a sunburn just sitting watching tv in the daytime.

We had a window man come to the house and he said they will not put protective film on an acrylic skylight (he said they get too hot and the film is hard to remove). The cost of installing blinds is about $1000 per skylight (we have two skylights).

Does anyone have any experience with this problem or any ideas? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Advertisement

Jenny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,966

You can get manual blackout shades for much cheaper than that.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

I got some tension rods and some sunblocker fabric and I'm just going to MacGyver something together. The fabric is supposed to block 95% of UV so it should be a big help. Less than $50 for materials. I just have to get on a tall ladder to put them up inside the ceiling cutouts for the lights.

I was hoping there might be some info on films that are compatible with acrylic but maybe not.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

Static cling films are compatible with acrylic/plexi. I had a similar issue (with plexi) and really wanted heat control film (but it is only available in adhesive ... so no luck). I ended up going with a bronze static cling and it has stayed put so far, also blocks UV rays (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MR0SD0)
allston513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #5

I ended up making some shades with the tension rods and fabric and they work great. They are tucked up inside the channels for the skylights so you can hardly see them and the room is much cooler and UV safe.