Is It Acceptable To Have Blinds Slightly Smaller Than Window Frame? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 170

Is it acceptable to have blinds slightly smaller than window frame?

The house we recently purchased did not have any window treatments so we need to acquire some. Window glass measures 35 inches across and the total width of the window with the frame casing is about 40.5 inches. We have to do outside mounts. We originally felt that we had to go with custom sized blinds due to the 40.5 inches but the cost is going to be more than twice what we could pay for the same quality blinds if we just settle for the standard 39 inch wide blinds. So we would end up having about half an inch of casing showing on both sides of the blinds if we go with 39 inch ones. At first, we thought this might look really odd since it does not cover the entire frame but then we started wondering if it would actually be acceptable to do this so I thought I would throw this question out to gather some opinions.

Advertisement

Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

most places cut in stock blinds for free.

for outside mount, I would go slightly bigger as opposed to smaller. having light show through when you don't want is very annoying .. to me anyway.

Advertisement

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #3

Interesting that you would say that wider would be better because we considered going with standard 43" wide blinds but thought having it hang over the frame a inch or so on both sides would not look right. I guess neither option would look exactly right. The special deals for the 39" blinds are online so there would be no cutting to size option available.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
bbo

well, I can't see all your available options and cost is certainly a factor for you. sounds like you have your mind made up.

just my opinion.

my house I do inside mount and have them cut or made to fit just inside. Just my opinion on what I like. I'd rather bite the bullet on $$ now and not look at them with regret.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Inside mount is much neater and works better with any additional window treatments that you might want to add later.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,142

It has been my experience that dealing on line with one of the larger blind suppliers offers much lower prices and faster delivery that a local shop. The actual blind manufacturers appear or are the same as you can get from a local dealer.

They offer all the normal features (inside mount, surface mount, etc.) plus additional features for minimal additional costs with no real time delay. They provide details on installation PLUS how and where to measure for every option to make installation very easy, so you can do it yourself. They even called to make sure they were delivered on time and no need to get an 8' box home in my SUV.

I ordered a set of aluminum horizontal mini blinds consiting of two blinds (your choice of sizes that could be different) on a single headrail for easy installation. It worked well for an oversize(7'-6"+) sliding door with an outside mount, so one could be adjusted as desired and the other panel could also be adjusted and raised as needed. The cost was way less than 50% of HD and the delivery was much faster. Since then everything was from them.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 12-04-2013 at 10:31 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Oak View Post
Inside mount is much neater and works better with any additional window treatments that you might want to add later.
I agree and would go that route but the existing windows will not allow the depth clearance that is necessary so we have to go outside mount and are thinking of doing the trim mount. For that, you cover all the trim but to do that we would need to get custom sized blinds which are 2-3 times the cost of standard sizes in some cases. So my question was if getting a 39" for a 40.5" frame woud look stupid or if it could 'pass' for something respectable. I am still undecided at this point....
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
bbo

I think it would look off. mounting outside blinds that don't cover the full width of the window seems to defeat the purpose of outside blinds.

Advertisement