Abloy Front Door Lock Is Loose - How To Open To Tighten - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Abloy Front Door Lock is loose - how to open to tighten

Hi,

Feel like an idiot....

My front door lock is loose. It is an Abloy deadbolt, which can be locked from the inside by hand or with a key.

The entire mechanism seems to be loose - guess the screws havecome loose....

BUt I cannot figure out how to undo it to tighten it all up. I see no access from the inside....if I wait long enough it may fall off in my hand !!! Help !!!

Tks,
wayne

Advertisement

Wayne_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Depends on which model you have.
Some have a hidden allen screw behind a little cover on the twist knob. This allen screw hold the knob in place. Remove the knob to expose the mounting screws.
Others may have the entire inside trim piece as a threaded unit. Try threading it off if there is no allen screw set up.

Advertisement

Gencon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #3

Bingo !! Thanks Gencon !! Thanks so much for your quick reply !!!

There was indeed a small cover, which when I originally tried to "unscrew", seemed stuck....but it seems to be more of a snap-in hole cover...Once I managed to pry it out, I could easily see the recessed Allen key heads....

Now, I also have some other Abloy straight deadbolts which are Key lock ONLY on both sides... There is no visible hole to access. Are you suggesting that the outer "decorative" ring can be spun and threaded off ? I am spinning it and it doesn't seem to get any tighter or looser.....

Tks,
wayne...
Wayne_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #4

the type of deadbolt that i believe you are referring to is called a doubly cylinder deadbolt. on the inside of the door, you should be able to pop out the ring and expose 2 screws that hold it together. the ring you want to pop out is the circular ring that surrounds the key cylinder (the part you put your key into) you should be able to pry it out with a small straight screw driver, or a small pick.
sodie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #5

I have the same problem with my Abloy front door lock. How do you pry off the little cover on the turn knob. I can't quite seem to figure it out. Any suggestions?
holl is offline   Reply With Quote