69 Year Young Lady Struggling With Windows - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

69 year young lady struggling with windows

I am a young lady of 69 years of age. The windows in our small Kentucky home are horrible and I can feel the wind blow through in the summer. A rep from Sears came out to see if he could help me, and at the end of his spill, tries his best to pressure me into allowing his company install my windows. The $ figure he gave to me for replacing 7 windows, almost knocked me outa my chair. I kindly asked him to leave. I have read some of the articles on this site thus far, but I'm truly confused as how to understand the answers to the questions.

I am going to have to try to replace the windows myself because my husband is disabled and can't do much at all anymore.

Now, let me explain the way my house is built. I have a cinder block home. Who ever installed the windows 30 years ago, put in those old crack windows. I looked on the outside, as well as the inside and it looks like they came all in one piece to fit into the window. It looks like the frames might be cemented into the window opening. I don't know what to do, or how to do it.

One more thing....I am NOT asking anyone to come either install windows for me, or to come show me how to do it.

The most important thing I need to learn how to do, in simple forms...the most simpliest of forms, is to instruck me how to get these windows out and re-install new or replacement windows.

Just tell me what to do, and I'll try to do it. I apologize for writing a novel. Didn't mean to write so much, but remember my age and you'll understand. LOL..

Advertisement

robaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,304

Robaire, you have a heavy task ahead. First off, I would wait til spring to tackle a window replacement project on your own. Secondly, based on budget and the fact that you may be doing lots of the work yourself, do ONE window at a time. Removing "crank" windows installed in a block house can be tricky. As you have discovered, in many of those types of home they mortared the windows in place something no one practices today. (Pictures would help us help you). You may have to chisel away at the mortared sill to break up the mortar so you can begin the removal of the window. There may even be mortar at the top and the sides. They may even be held in the mortar by some sort of wall tie. It's also possible that the rough opening of the window has wood around it which may or may not make it easier to remove them. In any event, pics would be a great help to see what you're up against. This will not be an easy DIY project. P.S. Do a search on YouTube and you may find some video on "how to remove crank windows."

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 516

A few years ago, we had Champion replacement windows installed. It actually cost less than I was expecting. Be advised though: Our metal frame crank windows were installed in metal casings. The way the installers wanted to do it, would have fit vinyl windows into the metal casings. I had to insist that the casings be cut out and the vinyl windows be sized to the (wood) rough opening.
Once we had an understanding, I thought the job came out nicely, and we have been satisfied with the windows.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Robaire, have you gotten any other quotes? The company that you had out is typically one of the priciest outfits that you'll find. I would not be surprised if you found a solid local company quote it for half that... The main reason I recommend that is because by your description, it sounds like a pretty advanced install. If you are determined to proceed DIY, follow the above recommendations, and also post some good pics so that we can see more detail.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 712

I agree Sears would be last company I ever would have called for anything to do with windows, roofing or siding. They have no one on the payroll that even does it, they hire subcontractors to do the work.
Any real contractor without even showing them the other quote would be at least 50% less or more.
I had one case where there price was $17,000, Home Depot and Lowes were close to $14,000 to side a small 1000 sq. ft. home and wrap the windows. Mine was $5500. And I made money on the job.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Can you take some pics and post them? (inside outside close in far away) You may find better advise once someone can see what is really going on.
Michael Olding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,304

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Robaire, have you gotten any other quotes? The company that you had out is typically one of the priciest outfits that you'll find. I would not be surprised if you found a solid local company quote it for half that... The main reason I recommend that is because by your description, it sounds like a pretty advanced install. If you are determined to proceed DIY, follow the above recommendations, and also post some good pics so that we can see more detail.
+1 to this and Joe's comments.

Get another quote and start from there.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote