Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Share |

1928 house - help replacing front door lock

I'd like to replace the lock on my front door and made a purchase before really looking at what I have. (happy I kept receipt!) I'm guessing the Schlage handleset with deadbolt probably isn't going to work with this door, or can it?

Rekonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Will not work.

Whats wrong with the existing one?

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #3

We wanted to change all the locks since we have no idea who has keys to the house currently. The doorknob on the interior has a lot of play. On the exterior, the part you push down with your thumb, starts from a low position, and moves down only 1/4 of an inch. Also, the key needs to be inserted just right, won't turn if inserted too far in. It's functional, but it just feels worn out. Then, just aesthetic personal preference, I don't like the glass doorknob.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekonn View Post
We wanted to change all the locks since we have no idea who has keys to the house currently. The doorknob on the interior has a lot of play. On the exterior, the part you push down with your thumb, starts from a low position, and moves down only 1/4 of an inch. Also, the key needs to be inserted just right, won't turn if inserted too far in. It's functional, but it just feels worn out. Then, just aesthetic personal preference, I don't like the glass doorknob.
Then all you really need is to have the cylinders rekeyed by a locksmith, or replace the cylinders, you shouldnt need to replace the entire lock.
The doorknob might only need tightening.
These older locksets are made out of much better materials than the new junk, the old stuf was solid brass, steel , cast iron, no plastic or aluminum.

Renovator's supply and other restoration hardware dealers carry parts as well as reproductions, they might be able to offer a fix if all else fails.

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
DIY staff

If you have an old locksmith in the area--have that one serviced---many different knobs will fit,so retiring the glass one is not an issue.

Saving the old one will cost less than preparing the door for a modern lock set.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

+2 to the two above comments.

Fix it...don't trash it.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

To use a new lockset with that old door you'd need to have the hole for the old mortise filled. This would require taking down the door, cutting out the old mortised area and replacing it with new wood. You'd *really* have to want to do this. It'd be much, much simpler and likely cheaper to pay a locksmith to put on a new key cylinder and clean up the old assembly.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #8

I also have a door with an older lockset, and the inside knob has a lot of play. Having taken it apart, the thing is solid and will NEVER break, but there's also no way to tighten it up that I can see. So while I'm sure you can fix some of it, if the "play" factor bothers you be aware of that.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #9

Ok, thanks! I'll get a locksmith a friend recommended to put in a new key cylinder and fix it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rekonn For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-02-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #10

Small world. I live in San Francisco, and I'm 95% sure I have the exact same mortise lock on my front door! The inside is pretty badly rusted, so we leave the door unlocked (there's also a gate). The glass knob is constantly falling off. I've replaced the J-hooks already, too. We've gotten locked in - ready to leave, turn the knob, knob falls off; and locked out - key turns about a quarter turn then gets stuck. I really want to replace this lock set, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be a pain in the butt to get done! Are these types of locks still made??
AZLambdaK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
Bill Kearney

Scour local salvage yards. Pull the mortise out and take it with you during the hunt. That and take the door measurements (including the mortise height). You never know, you might find a nicer looking door that also has the same mortise setup. That or talk with a local specialty-work locksmith. They might have a line on finding stuff like that and it might not be as expensive to repair as you think.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #12

Very small world - I lived in San Francisco for almost 4 years. My wife hates our lock so much she wants to replace whole door and frame too.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #13

I can completely vibe with that! The front door was once a solid door, but someone along the way thought it'd look nice to cut the center and add a piece of glass... then shoddily tack some trim around it to hold it in place! The more I look at that door, the more things I find wrong with it. I'm so glad there's a gate.
AZLambdaK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
DIY staff

If the door has no real charm and needs replacing---then,by all means,change it.

Retaining the integrity of an antique feature in a house is great---

So is saving the high cost of converting a good door to use a modern lock.

But if the door and lock set are shot----go for it.

Modern mortice lock sets are still being made----bring a full wallet.--Mike---
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
Roofmaster

You could bring that Lockset back to life, as it is solid brass. You simply cannot buy that quality today. I would get some brasso and buff that sucker up like new. A couple of springs and a new barrel and you have a new lock. I dont understand what you dont like about the glass knob, but to each his own. You should be able to find a brass knob for it.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote