DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wholes the builder cut into the inside garage walls?

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Windows on Wash 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am planning to insulate my garage. The garage is unfinished, but the builder has finished the portion of the garage that shares walls/ceiling with the living space. The house is only 6 month old.
The rest of it is unfinished. When inside the garage, I can see at least four square openings that the builder has cut into the walls. I guess they are related to soffit ventilation.

I have many questions, please help me!

1- What are those holes for?

2- Can I cover them with plywood and then insert the insulation bats into the space between wall studs? If not, there will be no point in insulating the garage, since cold air can move inside?

3- I live in a cold area (yeah Ontario,Canada!); all I need is to sit in a warmer car when I want to head to work....the garage won't be heated, I just want it be warmer than -19! Should I put vapor barriers? or simply insulation bats held in place by friction?

4- Fire proof insulation, or simple traditional pink ones for garage?

I appreciate any answer to any of the questions above. Thanks!

***I have attached the pictures of the wholes, and an outside view of the garage for clarity.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have no idea why he cut the holes or left them open. If it were mine I would plug the holes, insulate and go on with it. If there isn't a house wrap on the outside of the house you may be out of luck on the barrier, you really don't want it on the inside as it will sweat.

#5 ·
Just a guess but I would bet the holes were used to raise the wall sections with a crane.....at least that is my guess. So yes cover them before you insulate.

Just use the pink batts, no vapor barrier as the garage will not be heated.

Are you going to hang drywall to? if not you will need to add something to hold the insulation in place.

It appears the ceiling is drywalled, is there insulation above?

How about the garage door? XPS on the door panels?

Mark

#6 ·
Thanks Mark!

I will drywall it eventually, but I guess the insulation will remain exposed at least for two month.

Yes! the whole ceiling is drywalled and taped by the builder. They said they have spray foamed those areas to make them gas proof according to the code. But I am not sure if they have covered everywhere with foam insulation or just the seams...

The garage door is standard thin sheet metal. But I will cut 1.5" xps and insert into the door sections.

Hopefully these can keep me warm :)

#10 ·
Today, I could talk to the builder. They said those holes are "nothing important" and I can cover them. They also mentioned they should be backed by black felt paper- But in fact they are not!
(I took the interior pictures at night-that's why they seem black)

Thanks everyone for your valuable hints and advice. I think the mystery is solved :)

#13 ·
Jackofall1 said:
Insulation covered with kraft paper is insulation with a vapor barrier / retarder, you don't want the vapor barrier with your installation, that is why I suggested a mesh to hold it in place.

Mark
I just saw a picture where the insulation bats were held in place by a string stapled to the studs. They ran it in a zig zag pattern.......it exactly the mesh idea, but with coarser grid.....I think that might be my solution :)
Thanks Mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.