Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What is the proper way to insulate a cape finished attic.

I've had 2 different home energy assesments and I'm confused! 1 Says: they'll pack the slopes with celulose, and fiberglass the rafters from inside the kneewalls down to the soffit area with NO soffit vents.
The other contracter says: insulate the rafters leaving space for baffles, fiberglass the heated walls (paper side in) insulate the kneewall floors, use soffits for ventalation. Why would they heat knee walls when they're unheated space. Why would I heat un-used space? So can someone help me out here????

Thanks,

Paul

PORT44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #2

The knee wall separates a finished (heated) area from an unfinished (not heated) area. So you want the paper side to be facing the heated zone.

2nd option would be the proper way to do it...you definitely want soffit vents and baffles to guide the airflow up to the ridge or gable vent.

MikeMKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

The insulation should be continuous from the outside wall, running along the cold side of the heated space, That means the floor joists behind the knee wall (these are celing joists for the conditioned space below), up the knee wall, then along the rafters, and across the ceiling - then same treatment on the other side.

This could be done as a hot roof, but neither proposal is doing that. If the drywall is on place already, cellulose or fiberglass insulation will be blown in. Those little baffles are flimsy, and even if they can be slid in place, I'd question whether they will crush down more or less flat when it's blown. That makes them ineffective in providing a ventilation path.
eandjsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #4

The baffles would be on top of the insulation (between the roof deck and the insulation behind the finished sloped ceiling) so they would not be crushed.
MikeMKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do you have/will ever get- soffit vents?

http://oikos.com/esb/51/sideattics.html

http://www.habitat.org/env/pdf/ceiling_and_attic.pdf

Will the second company (first one is not even in the race for your money) be air sealing the attics first? http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...wWATQw&cad=rja

Location?

Gary
PS. Welcome to the forums, Paul!