Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #1

Share |

What kind of insulation is this?

Two years ago I had some new insulation blown in my attic, but I need to have some work done up there (vent for bathroom, replace some wiring chewed by squirrels).

There's actually two kinds under the lighter (white) new insulation.. a darker poofy/loose material, and some white polyester fill type materia in batts. In the areas I've carefully exposed, I do not see any vermiculite or pellets below the insulation in the pics.

Anyone know what the darker colored insulation is?

sheslostcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #2

WOW! looks like you got a mix of fiberglass and cellulose. That was mixed all togeather and blown in.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
WOW! looks like you got a mix of fiberglass and cellulose. That was mixed all togeather and blown in.
The dark stuff was there when I bought the house a few years ago. Had the lighter colored stuff blown in on top. Some contractors moved some of the old insulation out of the way which is what you see piled up to the right in one of the pics.

So this stuff is dense, powdery.. does it have much R value anymore?

Worth vacuuming out and replacing with new insulation?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #4

Went back up tonight for a closer look. The batts are fiberglass insulation laid over the top of some really old cellulose. Some of the batts are crusty with what looks like mold from past water damage. No vermiculite / zonolite on the attic floor between the joists.

Took some samples of the cellulose and am having it sent off for asbestos testing just to be sure.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #5

If that is a galvanized continuous soffit vent, where are the plastic baffles to prevent wind-washing over the exterior walls top plate? Where you need it most to prevent ice dams...

Gary
Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
If that is a galvanized continuous soffit vent, where are the plastic baffles to prevent wind-washing over the exterior walls top plate? Where you need it most to prevent ice dams...

Gary
I'm in Georgia. I do plan to install some baffles before blowing in new insulation.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #7

Got test results on 4 samples today. No asbestos found anywhere.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #8

Good to hear! IMHO don't replace any of it, and if adding more, make sure the ceiling drywall can support it; https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...h3VLQNBaXp54rA

Gary
Ps. Silly question; did anyone air seal the attic yet? Is there a gap open to below around the chimney?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Ps. Silly question; did anyone air seal the attic yet? Is there a gap open to below around the chimney?
I can almost guarantee the renovators didn't do a thing to seal it. Before I add insulation I'll crawl up with some caulk and make sure it is sealed.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Good to hear! IMHO don't replace any of it, and if adding more, make sure the ceiling drywall can support it; https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:z2U03nVAiDoJ:dsps.wi.gov/sb/docs/SB-UDCComm11Ch21.pdf
Fortunately (or unfortunately), there is tongue and groove nailed to the ceiling joists, and sheetrock screwed to that. There is already a lot of extra weight, but it appears secure.

The Following User Says Thank You to sheslostcontrol For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (05-08-2013)