What To Do For Spray Foam Smell? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77
Question

What to do for Spray Foam Smell?

Folks,

I had a contractor add spray foam in our basement on Friday. And there is quite an odor still in the house. We stayed out of the house yesterday with fans running. I put up a tarp to attempt to keep the fumes in the basement.

Any thoughts on what to do? I have 2 20" fans setup to exhaust air from the first story.

Advertisement

mklein49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #2

So, I'm regretting my decision on the SPF. My family spent the entire weekend away from our home due to the strong odor. I pulled some of the batts and was troubled my what I saw. In just a handful of spot checks, I found areas where the foam did not expand or react. It appears to be the source of the odor. The installer has been responsive so far, we'll see what they say tomorrow when I send in the pictures.

In any case, has anyone seen something like his? What would you recommend to remedy the situation?
Attached Thumbnails
What to do for Spray Foam Smell?-northwall.bad.large_area.jpg   What to do for Spray Foam Smell?-northwall.bad.large_area.zoome_out.jpg   What to do for Spray Foam Smell?-westwall.bad.small_patch.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #3

The installer has admitted a mistake was made and came back this morning to start scraping it off. If anyone has been through something like this, I'd love to hear some advice. I'm very stressed out.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

That foam appears that it was mixed improperly.

Call the company out ASAP.

If that is the case, they are going to need to remove and abate all of that and clean the substrate prior to re-applying.

Do not linger in the home for any amount of time.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 614

Yeah, you might have a pretty big problem. There are nasty chemicals in the spray-foam. They are supposed to be fully safe when they react and cure, but if yours was not mixed properly it will not cure. It only takes a few minutes for it to cure, if it has not cured up to now, its not going to cure. Do a Google search for "sprayfoam smell" or similar and you will find lots of information. You probably want to talk to your insurance company -- they may have access to the expertise to make sure it gets fixed properly. Maybe talk to the manufacturer of the sprayfoam.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
That foam appears that it was mixed improperly.

Call the company out ASAP.

If that is the case, they are going to need to remove and abate all of that and clean the substrate prior to re-applying.

Do not linger in the home for any amount of time.
The installer was there this morning cleaning the bad areas. I'm concerned about the integrity of the entire basement now.

How do I clean out the foundation walls? They appear much darker than pre-application?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

+1

Talk to the manufacturer and tell them about your situation. They will tell you what will need to be done and they should be very, very interested in getting this resolved quickly and to your 100% satisfaction.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 14

i feel for you. there is a lot of information about the dangers of improperly mixed spray foam... stay the heck out of the house! those smells are toxic fumes leaking from the spray!

good that the contractor fessed up... there are lawsuits in the USA already regarding this... do some research...

post back when it's fixed and good luck with the repair!
D.
eurobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklein49 View Post
How do I clean out the foundation walls?
Why are you cleaning it anyways ? Don't let the contractor walk away from this, or tell you it just needs to air out a little. Get professional help.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Why are you cleaning it anyways ? Don't let the contractor walk away from this, or tell you it just needs to air out a little. Get professional help.
good point! you shouldn't even be in the house! they are supposed to close off the entire basement and wear tyvek suits, masks, etc. etc... toxic, toxic, toxic...and fix everything themselves...
eurobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:01 AM   #11
Exterior Construction

+1

That home is not a safe of healthy environment right now.

There is a reason that the applicators where masks and respirators when they put it on.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #12

So me and my family are generally out of the home. We've been back to pack and things like that. I've been in and out with the installer.

I'm not the one cleaning. The installer has admitted the error and they're the ones cleaning. I'm trying to determine how to know when the job is done well enough.

I'm meeting with a Dow (manufacturer) rep this morning at the home. The installer is claiming the remaining smell is from the fiberglass batts. I'm very skeptical.

To make matters worse we have a 2 and half year old and my wife is 38 weeks pregnant. We're staying at my parents. It's not been a good couple of days.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #13

Good to hear you are dealing with the manufacturer. He will have the resources to figure out how to handle it. This could get very expensive for somebody, but I would guess that the Dow rep is not going to risk a lawsuit by feeding you some c&(4b#ll line like "its the fiberglass batts that is giving off the smell"
Old 03-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
Exterior Construction

Yeah...fiberglass doesn't typically smell unless it is covered in poorly mixed foam!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #15

So the general consensus on the smell was that it's the binder in the fiberglass: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...berglass-battsWe have the Owen's Corning Ecotouch insulation.

The off ratio foam has largely been cleaned up. So how do I feel comfortable that the cleanup was sufficient and the home is available for re-entry by my family.

Is anyone aware of an air quality test that can be performed?

Advertisement