Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #1

Share |

What To Do Help!

Ok I'm building a brand new house in South NJ and its time to insulate...I've had many contractors walk thru and each one has had their own opinions of what they would do if they were building their own house. So my question is whether to spray foam it, batt it or mix and match.... I do have budgets constraints but also know that this is the one investment in the house that will in return save me money. Therefore, do I spray the roof and batt the walls. Spray the walls and batt the roof or spray or batt the whole thing. I'm skeptical with spraying the walls since i wont be able to run wires through them at a later date with out it being a pain and closing off all the attic vents keeps me skeptical if I choose to spray just the attic.... Just looking for some honest opinions aside from those who were just looking to make a sale. Thanks guys!
Ranhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #2

What To Do Help!

In all honesty...just do fiberglass batts or cellulose in the walls and sheath the exterior will a nailbase foam panel before siding. If you get an R-10 foam layer on the exterior then, by code, you won't need a vapor barrier on the inside and can use un-faced batts.

For the roof, I would use a ventilated nail base foam panel with batt insulation along the rafters. Yes, it will cost more, but it is a complete thermally un-broken envelope that WILL payback over time. Remember, fuel costs are only going to go up, so the spending the $ now to insulate right will make you ready to withstand the fuel surges coming to a town near you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #3

What To Do Help!

Kinda sorta like this: http://www.foamlaminates.com/images/Eave-Detail.gif

Though you'd have batt type insulation at the "post" and "rafter" areas and a ventilation channel above the roof foam and below the shingles for heat dissipation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

What To Do Help!

Rigid foam (1" minimum) exterior for complete thermal break. Get all your water management and air barrier details correct.

2x6 walls, use a spray-able caulk to seal anything from the inside, spider fiberglass or wet spray cellulose and you will have a true R-25 wall (close to it at least with 1" iso).

Attic depends entirely on what you want to use it for. Spray-able caulk and R-50/60 cellulose is great.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
I can tie my own shoes

What To Do Help!

Sprayable caulk discussion is here in case you don't know the details.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...prayable-caulk
algored2deth is offline   Reply With Quote