Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Vermiculite in Attic, Blower Door Test

I had energy use evaluator guy come in. I warned the guy that I had vermiculite in the attic. He took note. He then still performed the blower door test, which creates negative pressure in the living space. I thought about it but didn't really get worried until after he was done. What should we do? Could it have sucked asbestos into the living area? I read that you aren't supposed to do the blower test in this case! We are vey worried! If anyone who knows about this has any advice, please let me know. It's seriously scary.

BeMurda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,292

It basics pressurizes the box, or the home, so that air leaks can be found. If there is air leaking from the living space up to the attic, it should just go out of the roof vents. If you are worried about the blower door causing shift movement of the material up in the attic, you should beware, that it is a common occurrence, that if air is leaking into the living space through the attic access, or people are going up there all of the time, or your furnace and duct work is up there, dust from the attic space has been moving into the living space a lot longer than a blower door test done one time would have done.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #3

The blower door test was a negative pressure test, sucking air into the living space. That's what scares me.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMurda View Post
The blower door test was a negative pressure test, sucking air into the living space. That's what scares me.
I would not worry about it. That means that regardless, I would not worry. As I stated before, the stuff in the attic is going to find its way, regardless of the blower door test.

You breathe more harmful chemicals and etc through your day just going to work, walking outside, driving your car, working around the home, etc.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,670

Technically...he should not have done it.

That being said, the exposure risk is probably slight unless there were some really big bypasses.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #6

The thing that made me realize the possible risk was that it dragged up stinky sewer air into the whole house. We do have a vapour barrier in the attic, but can it stop particles as small as asbestos?

Last edited by BeMurda; 12-11-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Yes, the vapor barrier will stop air movement, that is what it is there for. As for the sewer gas, that shows that there is problems with the plumbing system.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Quote:
The thing that made me realize the possible risk was that it dragged up stinky sewer air into the whole house. We do have a vapour barrier in the attic, but can it stop particles as small as asbestos?
Yes...just as gregzoll said. You should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Yes, the vapor barrier will stop air movement, that is what it is there for. As for the sewer gas, that shows that there is problems with the plumbing system.
Dried out trap or lack of one.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #9

Yeah it was jus a dried out trap, but it just got me thinking about the sucking power.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Yeah it was jus a dried out trap, but it just got me thinking about the sucking power.
50 Pa (Pascals) is the standard blower door depressurization.

50 Pa is the equivalent of a whopping.....0.00725 psi. That is 7 thousandths of a pound per square inch.

Not much.