Vaulted Ceilings - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Vaulted Ceilings

Okay, quick question, I installed R-19 fiberglass insulation in my vaulted ceiling, in 2 x 8 rafters. Someone, plumber on site, mentioned whether or not I was going to use the foam 'egg crate' things for ventilation.

It got me thinking but R-19 is less than 6" and the rafter is 7 1/2", I believe I should have plenty of an air gap between the ridge vent and the eves.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Advertisement

Weekend Warrior DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #2

Vaulted Ceilings

i am required to have a 1" air space between the insulation and the bottom side of roof sheathing here......

Advertisement

gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #3

Vaulted Ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilkrrs View Post
i am required to have a 1" air space between the insulation and the bottom side of roof sheathing here......
I don't know what we're required to have, SE PA, but I have at least an inch so I think I'm safe. I will find out soon enough.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 732

Vaulted Ceilings

Go back and add your location to your profile, yes it makes a big differance!
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,080

Vaulted Ceilings

BSC recommends 2" gap as 1" (minimum code) is not sufficient, baffles all the way; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...n-roof-venting

Gary
Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #6

Vaulted Ceilings

Thanks for the replies. There's about a 2" gap so I think I'm set. I guess if I'm wrong the BI will tell me when they come out.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #7

Vaulted Ceilings

Cathedrals require baffles or you will wind-wash the fibrous insulation, negating its R-value 40-60%. http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/.../pennsylvania/
As the outdoor air deposits its moisture on the insulation (great filter- think furnaces), expect 60-70% R-value loss; http://archive.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/ib...ling-heat.html

Expect to add 2x6 furring to the rafter bottoms before/after inspection to reach code minimum R-38, unless the inspector accepts R-30; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_4_par004.htm

for your State- under the IECC, 2009; http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/.../pennsylvania/

This should all be listed on your approved plans for the permit...

Gary
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Vaulted Ceilings

Are your ceilings vented?
Do they have blocking in them that would prevent air flow from eave to ridge?

Andy.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #9

Vaulted Ceilings

Yes, my ceilings are vented via a ridge vent and eve vents.

GBR, I researched the links you referenced and even though they look 100% correct, the house was built with 2 x 8's and inspected as such. Why in the world and how could the BI require me to put in R-30 or higher which requires a higher rafter after it was all inspected and approved?

Doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #10

Vaulted Ceilings

Me either. Your whole state is under that Energy Code, with no local amendments. My state requires R-49 (Zone 4 marine) as we have our very own Energy Code, so fortunate to go above and beyond the IRC, IBC, and IECC code minimum...surprised they didn't say anything before.

Gary
Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #11

Vaulted Ceilings

wen was your permit aproved?on your drawings did they call out the r values on the wall and roof sections? my permit was pulled last year prior to them updating the code so i fall under the older values. on my permit drwaings he highlighted te note on wall sections and wrote R13 and such. i had a long conversation with the building inspector on this as mine was stick framed with 2x12 rafters for a cathedral cieling- and how to insulate this properly and to achieve the r factor. under the current code this is impossible and now requires te rafter to be padded out or a scissor truss to be used to achieve this......

great links by the way....
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gwilkrrs For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (01-20-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #12

Vaulted Ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilkrrs View Post
wen was your permit aproved?on your drawings did they call out the r values on the wall and roof sections? my permit was pulled last year prior to them updating the code so i fall under the older values. on my permit drwaings he highlighted te note on wall sections and wrote R13 and such. i had a long conversation with the building inspector on this as mine was stick framed with 2x12 rafters for a cathedral cieling- and how to insulate this properly and to achieve the r factor. under the current code this is impossible and now requires te rafter to be padded out or a scissor truss to be used to achieve this......

great links by the way....
Last year, around July-ish. Per my township the homeowner is allowed to produce their own drawings. I was checking them out the other day and there's nothing on there stating anything about insulation, etc. The only thing called out is with regards to needing permits for anything else, i.e. electrical, plumbing, mechanical, etc.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #13

Vaulted Ceilings

I'd give the field inspector a call and ask him. Let us know the outcome...

Gary

Advertisement