DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Insulation (
-   -   Vapor barrier in a shed/ summerhouse (

2dinners 06-09-2011 12:18 PM

I have made a timber shed which i want to insulate should the vapor barrier go on the out side or inside if needed at all and what thickness should i use. Also should i do the roof as well or just walls. Thank you.

HomeInsulation 06-10-2011 09:43 AM

Hey 2dinners,

I'm guessing that the shed is an australian slang term for cabin? Because I don't know why you would want to insulate a storage shed:)

But anyway, in almost all U.S. states, the vapor barrier goes on the interior. You should be looking at it if your standing inside the house. The same goes for the ceilings and floors.

The vapor barrier always faces the conditioned space, i.e. the space you heat or cool.

For most residential insulation, a kraft faced vapor retarder like that on fiberglass insulation is more than enough.

Gary in WA 06-10-2011 10:33 PM

Where are you located?

In the South, the vapor barrier always goes on the exterior, pp.6:


2dinners 06-11-2011 01:39 AM


Gary in WA 06-11-2011 10:40 PM

I'm not familiar with your climate/code, check with your local building department.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1