Vapor Barrier Or Insulating Sheathing In Attic - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
Newbie willing to work

Rewards Points: 10

vapor barrier or insulating sheathing in attic

OK, well after much delay and procrastination, I'm making progress on refinishing the attic in my 60 year old house.

Here are some notes: no soffits/eaves, gable vents on both ends, ridge vent on top, installed baffles from wall plate to ceiling, air sealed with sprayfoam and fireblock, sealed cavities under kneewall, so far, sidestapled fiberglass insulation from attic floor to just above knee wall,

After re-wiring, I was intending to sidestaple insulation from the kneewall to the ceiling, blow in cellulose on attic floor behind kneewall.

Q1) Is there a recommended thickness for the insulating sheathing ??

In the context of "is adding a vapor barrier a good idea?", I read this document:
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...sealing-guide/

Re: vapor barriers, a lot of threads have gone yes or no with different explanations. But the doc indicates did not mention one. So, I'm moving on to insulating sheathing.

It doesn't explicitly say so but on pages 32/33, the insulating sheathing goes on the part of the knee wall that faces out, correct ?? In the drawings, "outside" is to the left of the wall and "inside" is to the right?? Just want to make sure about the orientation.

Q2) Should I use any kind of vapor barrier or insulating sheathing on the sloped part of the attic wall??

Q3) Off-topic question: I have a PVC plumbing vent that starts behind the kneewall and goes through the roof at a lower height than the attic ceiling. The pipe is about as thick as the rafters, I won't be able to put any insulation between the pipe and the drywall. In the winter, there will probably be a condensation problem. What can I do?? I was thinking of building a soffit to insulate the pipe. But the pipe is roughly midway on a 30 ft long wall. A soffit would look terrible.

Thanks for reading and/or responding!!!

Advertisement

FileOpen is offline   Reply With Quote