Is Unfaced Fiberglass Bad In Basement Rim Joists? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

is unfaced fiberglass bad in basement rim joists?

We recently moved into a 32 year old house. The rim joists in the basement are insulated with unfaced fiberglass bats. It looks sloppy, like scrap pieces were just thrown in. I want to remove the old insulation and put new in. I know that most like to use the foam board and seal/caulk the edges. This would take me forever....especially with the hvac and electrical running thru. I have seen no evidence of moisture problems. Can I just take out the old and add new(and more)? If I fill up the whole cavity, will I have to worry about moisture problems? So far, I have done one area. I used the pink, unfaced R-30. I was able to fit about 3 pieces of it in the cavities. Am I overinsulating....or is it not possible to over do it in this area?

Advertisement

ANDYK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Unfaced would allow it to breath. If you want to take it a step further, use TigerFoam to seal the bays.

I just used Kraft faced R-13, because I did not want to totally air seal the basement, just wanted to stop cold/hot air convection currents.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 07-29-2012 at 01:31 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

+1

Spray foam it. That will be faster than cutting and stuffing those pieces in.

Last edited by Windows on Wash; 07-29-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Double post
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

i'd second the spray foam. its expensive, but cheaper than my time by far for when I did mine.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies. I've already started w/ the fiberglass.... Just wondering if multiple layers of r-30 unfaced will cause any moisture issues??? I'm fine with overkill, I just dont want to cause any problems.
ANDYK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

One layer is all you need. No need for overkill. Update with your location, so that people can better help you. Do suggest going over the info at buildingscience.com, which explains the whole process of making the structure work as a whole.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

If you are in a heating climate, air seal them from the basement. Fiberglass is air permeable, fine after you install foamboard and canned foam the edges. The idea is to stop infiltrating/exfiltrating air from happening. It does not want to breathe. The rim board expands/contracts with the seasons, letting un/conditioned air right through it. At least use faced toward the warm inside.http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...l_seal_rev.pdf

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...r-penetrations

Gary

Advertisement