Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Which type of insulation?

Which type of insulation?-dscn0372.jpg

My house is on posts over a steep slope (8 to 15 feet high posts). I remodelled the interior and put in electrically heated bamboo floors. I need to insulate outside under the floors (see attached photo). What would be the most cost effective way to insulate bearing in mind that rats, mice, birds and bugs could become an issue if not the right insulation and the fact that I built a playground for my grandkids under the house and wouldn't want anything toxic falling on them. Thank you

diyer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,016

Easiest and most effective would be spray foam.

It will also be the most expensive.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you "Windows on Wash" for your response.

Unfortunately I did get a bid for Air Krete and it was too high ($12,000 for 1400 sq ft). The challenge is the cost:

I can reduce some costs by screwing 2 x 10s to the posts and creating a movable platform (less expensive than scaffolding) and I can get OSB sheets for $5/sheet.

My concern is if I put OSB or some other material up, how do I make sure rats don't make a city out of the place- or birds/ insects etc? Would denim insulation or some other type of insulation work? I assume having a barrier would protect my grandchildren from any toxic material falling on them, while they are playing.
diyer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 676

That quote for the foam sounds awfully high! You didn't say where you're located but no matter where you are it still sounds high. I'd check around a little for closed cell foam applicators. It's certainly the easiest and best solution for this application. Based on previous experience you should be able to get it for < 50% of the quote you have.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

+1

That is way high.

Get another quote and figure on the quote having to include and ignition barrier application as well.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 266

Or, seeing as this is a DIY forum, you can try doing it yourself. They do have kits you can buy. Added bonus, you can decide to put up as much as you want/ can afford now and always add to it later. I'm fairly certain any new foam wouldn't have a problem bonding to the older foam in the future, you might have to wash it of course, but with a nice layer on you'd get the vapor barrier which is important.
MLMIB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
Or, seeing as this is a DIY forum, you can try doing it yourself. They do have kits you can buy. Added bonus, you can decide to put up as much as you want/ can afford now and always add to it later. I'm fairly certain any new foam wouldn't have a problem bonding to the older foam in the future, you might have to wash it of course, but with a nice layer on you'd get the vapor barrier which is important.
Foam in the 600 or 1000 board foot kits will wind up being just as expensive as someone applying the foam via a rig.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located?

Gary