Thermal Barrier For XPS Foam Board - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thermal barrier for XPS foam board

I used 1/2" pink XPS foam board as insulation in a folding attic ladder. The instructions say it's flammable and thus should not be exposed in any application and recommends using a thermal barrier. Not having any luck finding such a barrier. Can someone point me to what I should order?

(BTW, I wish the chatroom would allow me to correct the subject line, but no luck. "Battier" it remains. Oops)
Attached Thumbnails
Thermal barrier for XPS foam board-atticladder.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by diyatx; 12-08-2012 at 07:22 PM.
diyatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

it has to be covered by drywall..
1/2" drywall really doesnt do much as a thermal barrier, 1" is the starting point

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

Well, in that light, any code-approved fireblocking material would do (3/4" particle board, 1/2" drywall, 1/4" cement board); it doesn't need to be drywall. I should have been clearer. There's little clearance between the steps and the foam board, so I'm basically asking if anyone knows of a *thin* (1/8" or less) material that will act as a thermal barrier.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,064

The thermal barrier is the plywood panel facer. An ignition barrier may be needed instead, if you meet all requirements listed here: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...016_par007.htm

Or, use the manufacturer's literature, #4.2.1- Attics: http://commercial.owenscorning.com/a...579af27e5d.pdf

Or just use R-Max (foil-faced PIC board) accepted by most Building Departments; http://www.rmaxinc.com/downloads/DataSheets/rmp3.pdf

check with local AHJ.

Gary
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
The thermal barrier is the plywood panel facer. An ignition barrier may be needed instead, if you meet all requirements listed here...
Thanks, Gary. If I'm reading this material right, the IRC wants at least an ignition barrier in attic spaces and reveals the thin solution I was looking for (1/64" thick corrosion-resistant steel). Owens Corning, however, says I don't need to worry about it.

Interestingly, the R-Max literature is less forgiving than OC's. Its recommendation is in line with the IRC: put an ignition barrier on the interior side.

My understanding is that the IRC yields to manufacturer installation instructions, so I'm probably going to follow the OC literature and leave the pink foam exposed. I've called the building/inspection dept in the past and found muted interest in answering small-time questions like this. Because I'm following manufacturer instructions, I think I can let this rest and save myself a bunch of calls.

Thanks again!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,064

You're welcome, we are here to help DIY! Additional useful information: http://www.ncfi.com/Insulation/uploa...%20SF0608L.pdf

Gary
Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

+1

Use foil faced ISO and you should be fine.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote