DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Super Thin Rigid Insulation Board?

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
Does this even exist?

I'm looking to redo my basement bathroom over and its not the biggest room, so any space saved is great. I have a wall about 6ft wide and is also the foundation, so its cement. The previous owner covered it with a thin board of sorts, then wallpapered and painted. I'm looking to remove it, and over the past year or so, that room is pretty cold and the wall is cold to the touch.

Can you suggest what I can put there in terms of insulation, while not taking much space? Meaning, adding an additional 4 or so inches to the wall will def cramp the toilet space.

The wall seems dry and there's no indication of any moisture/water. Its also in the same room as the washer and dryer.

I removed a piece of the wallpaper, which ended up being a larger chunk...so.. there's no going back now. :)

Thanks!

#3 ·
You could put back some rigid foam and seal the edges with caulk or spray foam in a can. Residential I think you can get up to 1" 3/8 all the way back down to 1/2" or so however that's not much insulation your gonna get with the limited space. Foam boards/Rigid foam or spray foam closed cell will give you best R-value for the thickness.

#4 ·
Thanks Guys..
So for spray foam, you're talking about the ones that you spray onto/into the stud cavities and then it seals and expands?

How about furring strips and then the foam board (preferably an inch or so) and then what? Drywall on top of that? Then I'll be losing some space...

#7 ·
Where is your location for such minimal insulation below grade with water sources present?

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.